Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
21 posts Page 2 of 3
TNWaltz wrote: When following the instructions for the Mask tut, I did everything (I think) like I'm supposed to do. I got to the point where you said, "Click inside the mask of the levels layer and using the paint brush at 100% opacity paint black over the window areas to reveal the darker below." When I do this and begin painting, nothing happens. In other words, I do not see any of the window showing through. I do, however, see some black indications on the layer mask. What am I doing wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong, I forgot to put in to drag the levels layer so that it's a between the 2 layers. THEN hold down option/alt while hovering mouse over the dividing line between the top 2 layers and click when see the circle. Rest should work-I just tested it in PSE4 to make sure got the directions right this time. Sorry :oops:
Linda, thanks for the corrections. Whew! I worked and worked on it before giving up and asking for additional help. I'll give it another try. Thanks again. :D
My Gallery
Nikon D70, Nikon 18-70, Nikon 70-210, PSE4, Dell Computer
TNWaltz wrote: Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.

Chuck, I have never done anything in Raw. What is the process? How do I open in Raw?

TN, sorry I didn't answer earlier. Was out all day and came home to find Internet down. Just came back up.

The process is fairly straightforward. First, you have to download and install a later version of the Adobe ACR plug-in - either 4.1 or 4.2. (I understand PSE6 is shipping with 4.2). After that, you restart Elements, go to Editor, then File>Open As>Camera Raw (not Photoshop Raw) and select your image from the list of files and folders (looks just like Windows Explorer). Your image will pop up in the ACR dialog, where you can touch it up and then proceed into the regular Elements Editor for any further adjustments and to save it as a JPEG or PSD.

I notice you have a NIkon D70. You can shoot RAW with that camera, and that might be a future consideration for you - especially if you like the Adobe Camera Raw routine.

Hope that helps!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Hi Chuck,
so nice to be able to use your expertise on a different forum, thanks for the info re camera raw
i'm on 4.1 is 4.2 much improved. BTW just joined this forum, hope more of our previous
friends join us
Norm
Thanks, Chuck, for the detailed instructions. I will download it tomorrow and give it a try. I have PSE4. Hopefully, it will work with that version?
My Gallery
TNWaltz wrote: Thanks, Chuck, for the detailed instructions. I will download it tomorrow and give it a try. I have PSE4. Hopefully, it will work with that version?

TN - Download ACR 4.1 - it reportedly works with PSE4. ACR 4.2 apparently does not. Good luck!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Chuck, I downloaded camera raw 4.1; however, when I tried to open my image in camera raw, I get the message "Could not complete your request because of a program error." Has this ever happened to you? I'm new at this so I may be doing something wrong. Here's what I did:

Downloaded camera raw 4.1
Opened Elements
Editor
File
Open As Camera Raw
Selected my image
This is when I got the above message

Any suggestions?
My Gallery
It should work...
Is the new Camera Raw.8bi in the \Plug-Ins\File Formats\ folder?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I checked and it is in:

c:\documents and settings\PC User\My Documents\Unzipped\Camera_Raw_4.1

How do I put it in the proper place?
My Gallery
you need to unzip it then there should be instructions as to where to put it. I have 5.0 so don't know if it is the same place
hopefully this will help
To install with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0:

1. Exit Photoshop Elements.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:)
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop Elements.

these instructions are for elements 6 but are the same for 5, so hopefully also for 4
21 posts Page 2 of 3