Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
I keep seeing mention of folks opening something up in "Raw". Now I'm assuming that doesn't mean that y'all are gettin' nekked in front of the computer but what exactly are you talking about? Can some please explain it very simply so that a senior blonde like myself can understand what it is and why I would want to use it?
I only know a very little about it and like you just saw posts on it. You can open a jpeg image in camera raw (ACR) by going to file and then open as. Choose the file and slide down open as until you see camera raw. After that, I am still learning but it is a program within elements. (I have Elements 6, but don't know about any other versions).
Elaine
Wags, I'll give you the short story on this one. Some digital cameras, mostly the DSLR's and some higher end point-and-shoots, have a mode for image capture called Raw, which basically is a copy of what comes through the lens and strikes the sensor - without any substantial in-camera processing for color balance, sharpness, contrast, etc. As a result of being 'raw', the images need additional processing before they're ready for opening in Elements or CS. For that purpose, Adobe developed a plug-in (Adobe Camera Raw)that processes the raw image before it goes into the Editor. The plug-in is free, and it works in both Elements and CS, although somewhat differently.

OK, so I don't have Raw capability in my camera - why should I care about Adobe Camera Raw? Well, starting with PSE5 and ACR version 4, JPEG images as well as RAW images can be opened in the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in. The plug-in includes numerous sliders for white balance, brightness, contrast, clarity, sharpness, noise reduction, etc. It's very easy to use, and in many cases can provide most or all the processing you need for a photo. With PSE6, some additional capabilities are provided in the ACR module, including cropping. It almost becomes one-stop shopping for images that aren't going to need to have a bunch of filters or layers.

If you have PSE5 or 6, download the latest plug-in from the Adobe website, follow the simple installation instructions, then re-open Elements and then, from the Editor, do File>Save As, and select Camera Raw from the dropdown and your image from the box above the dropdown. Have fun - I love it!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks! I have PSE 5 - I'll have to give it a try once things have setteled down a bit.
Jane,

Matt K did two video tutorials (PET site) showing how to use the basic controls of ACR. And, as Chuck said, you can open a jpeg image "as RAW".

Rusty

PS - don't know if Matt was nekkid when he made the videos :twisted:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I am by no means an expert on shooting in Raw but at the present time, that is the only way I shoot. I really like the way you can process the photos. It does take up more space on the card though.
Garry

The Procrastinator's Creed:
1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

Garry's Gallery
It also gives you nearly total control in processing your pictures, something that JPG doesn't give you. It is more work at times, but the better you get at your exposures, the easier it becomes. In other words, RAW is not an excuse for bad exposures and spending hours in PSE or CS to fix them up. You can still under or over expose to the point of becoming unrecoverable. But, it can be more forgiving if the WB choice is completely off as it can be easily corrected. JPG on the other hand, is controlled by your camera's settings and particular manufacturer's view on in-camera processing. For a lot of people, this is just fine. But if you want complete control, RAW is the way to go. If your camera supports it.

The latest versions of ACR have added a lot of additional controls for RAW processing n PSE. And if your interested in Light Room, that gives you all the controls over RAW processing that CS3 does, at less than half the price :!:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Oh course all of the just means I have to save up to get a better camera.... Maybe by this time next year I'll be able to do that. :D

For now I'll try downloading the plug-in and seeing if I can salvage some pictures - when I have a little free time of course...
I must be having a senior blonde moment - I've searched the Adobe downloads and can't find anything called Adobe Camera Raw - help!
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
12 posts Page 1 of 2