Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
5 posts Page 1 of 1
I have downloaded the trial version of Elements 6.0 (currently have 5.0) to see whether it was worth upgrading. Like the look, and some features, but have run into a couple of snags. The program seems to spend an awful lot of time "working" behind the scenes, and while the results are usually positive, such as updating, and refreshing, I would definitely prefer to know and consent to whatever is being done.

Last night while reorganizing my images (naming, putting them in the correct folders, etc), I somehow (what a pain in the a**, :cry: ) managed to rename 2500+ images with the wrong name!! I hit cancel to no avail. Sadly, I was sooo panicked, and confused as to how this happened (I've been using the software for 4+ years and never had anything like this happen before??) that I didn't even think to hit undo, DOH. So many hours later, after reconecting all my files to maintain their keywords, then renaming them all over again. I did the REALLY smart thing and backed up my catalog. The question I have is that in looking at the backup, I have no filenames? Will they be restored when and if I have to do a restore? Or do I have to rename them all over again?

Also, the reason I was reorganizing my catalog in the first place was that when I installed 6.0, my 5.0 catalog was corrupted, I lost half my keywords?????

Oh yes, and for some reason my Recycle Bin is full of pictures that I still have in my catalog, that are in the folders they are supposed to be, and that I did not delete, any idea what is going on??

Hopefully someone can help explain, lol.

Colina
I am so sorry Colina. I don't use 6 or the organizer so can't help you. Hopefully tomorrow when all the celebrations are over the 6 users will be back to help you.
bumping this up..can anyone help her???
Colina,
Unfortunately, I do not have PSE6, but maybe I can help some. I wonder if you tried to open the catalog that PSE6 had converted with PSE5. This would explain the "corruption".

In earlier versions the existing catalog would be converted by the newer version and then renamed to My Catalog-1.psa. I assume this to be similar in PSE5 to PSE6. If you go back and want to open your original catalog in PSE5, you would have to open My Catalog-1.psa. If you actually opened My Catalog.psa with PSE5, you may want to try opening the other one and see what you get.

When you back up the catalog in PSE5, you will have three files, a file containing the images, named consecutively starting with B0000001 +EXT. Another file, backup.tly and My Catalog.buc. The backup.tly file contains the real file names and the paths. My Catalog.buc is the actual catalog. When restored, all file names will be back to their original form.

PSE6 apparently rewrites all files that are manipulated (renamed etc.) and puts the originals into the Recycle Bin. This way they can possibly be retrieved if something goes wrong.

Sorry, I cannot be more specific, someone else may want to expand on this.

Juergen
Thank you very much for your reply! You have eased my mind considerably (re: backup). I will do a weekly backup now to keep things up to date, whew.

I discovered how I renamed 2500 images, I create a new folder to copy images into, then hilite the ones I want to move using Shift, and for some reason it marks all the pictures from the new folder to the one hilited, hence 2500 pics being renamed. I'll be been paying close attention the number of selected images from now on, lol.

Mmmm, so as to the files in the recycle bin - all the images that I've renamed will be "copied" to their new name and location, and the "original" will go to the recycle bin? I wondered if this had something to do with optimizing my catalog? I guess this is what's going on when I see the "updating" bar?

I'm going to have to be more careful from now on, I've got all of my images organized now! :D

Very appreciative!! Colina
5 posts Page 1 of 1