Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
8 posts Page 1 of 1
What is the difference between merge layers and flatten image?
Danny

--------------------------
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D; PSE 5; Windows XP

A brave new step:
My Flickr galleries
My much smaller but growing PrestoPhoto picts
dsstrick9 wrote: What is the difference between merge layers and flatten image?

Merging layers is just that: combining layers into a single one.
Flattening is merging plus transforming the resulting layer into a background. A background has different properties, many edits, like transform or perspective cannot be applied to a background.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I often wondered the same thing and never paid attention when doing either that one stays a layer and the other becomes a background. D, thanks for asking and Michel, thanks for the answer.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I always merge and never flatten. ;)
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
kimi_boo wrote: I always merge and never flatten. ;)

I am pretty sure it's because you always keep your background unaltered, which is the best thing to do. Suppose you have used the image/transform or distort menu: the background is transformed into a 'normal' layer. If you want to save at that point, PSE will only save as PSD. You'll have to flatten to get the jpeg option.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
One important difference is that merging layers will preserve transparency, flattening will not.

Juergen
One other alternative is merge visible - Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E
I use this all the time especially when stepping thru a tutorial that tells me to do some things to two or more different layers and then merge down to combine two or more layers.

The problem with merging the layers is that you have lost all ability to go back and make changes to a specific layer other than using Undo. And, the problem with Undo is you lose all subsequent actions after the undo point.

I flatten a lot of images and save only as a Jpeg but I never do so until I have completed all edits and am satisfied that I have no intention of revisiting that image. Anything that I consider one of my "maybe 5% good picture" remains in PSD format.

Just my 2¢

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty wrote: The problem with merging the layers is that you have lost all ability to go back and make changes to a specific layer other than using Undo. And, the problem with Undo is you lose all subsequent actions after the undo point.

Rusty

Imagine you are merging layers and want to keep the layers to be merged: you can do this by merging the layers to a new layer (Ctrl Shift Alt E), name it clearly, and leave the original layers toggled off. This gives you the possibility to keep the history and start again, even if you have other layers above.
The above shortcut combination is one I use very often.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
8 posts Page 1 of 1