Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
29 posts Page 2 of 3
Many people love the Organizer and can't imagine any other way to keep track of their images. I personally think it's more trouble than it's worth -- a lot more time and bother to add all the tags, etc.

I simply use folders with Windows. Some are on my C-drive, most images are on EHD. I have a number of "broad subject names" followed by sub-folders under that and even, for some subjects, sub-sub-folders. An example of a Broad Subject would be the name of a grandchild.

Works for me.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I use the organizer but also use multiple folders in "my pictures" usually by date. So kind of a blended approach, I guess. If you are not using the organizer, how do you view the pictures? Do you just use the software that came with the computer?
Danny

--------------------------
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D; PSE 5; Windows XP

A brave new step:
My Flickr galleries
My much smaller but growing PrestoPhoto picts
I use the default Microsoft viewer - It's Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Works very well for my purposes. I can view, delete, print, send to Elements, e-mail, whatever from there.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
I also use the Microsoft viewer, never have tried the organizer
I don't use Organizer either and I know that even though you don't it still loads images to it unless you remember each time you save something to uncheck the box on the save window. To save myself from this I moved the Organizer file out of the PSE folder. It can be deleted if you want but I moved it in case I ever decided to you it which I haven't and don't remember where I moved it too. If I ever decide I want it I will have to do a search for it.

Taz, welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing you around. You will this forum a very friendly and helpful group. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck and need it. We were all where you are at some point.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim, thanks for mentioning killing the Organizer. I had read about it somewhere and then didn't do it. I'm going to move the file so I don't have the saving issue anymore.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
odd man out... I love the organizer!! :biggrin:

since I have to start over, I played in Light Room and Bridge. Neither one did everything the Organizer could do.
So my jpegs will go back into the Organizer. :love:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Interesting thread.

I started off using the zoom browser software that came with my Canon G6, hated the way it managed the downloads and found out later that I could download to a YYYY-MM folder style that I liked.

Got into Elements to help a friend, saw the organizer and hated it until I started to shoot RAW and by then had moved up to a 30D. Fell in love with TAGS and tags only, still kept with my YYYY-MM folder style.

Last summer I moved on up to CS3 and used Organizer for a while to access either CS3 or PSE5. Now have started to switch over to Bridge, but there are some things I like about Organizer – like the speed and the tagging and some I prefer about Bridge.

The physical way I store, manage and backup my pictures is independent of any software I use to play with them. And that is the way I like it! :thumbsup:
John
John, that's exactly the way it should be....the way YOU like it. :biggrin:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
I just popped in to say that everything worked and am exploring elements. I am sure that I am going to have a ton of questions for you all. Thanks so much for the help you have given already.
taz
29 posts Page 2 of 3