Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
29 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi, I have finally found some free time to play. I have been given elements 5.0 and need some help getting started. 2 questions to start with.
I am not ready to use the organizer and want to go directly to the editor,how do I stop it from opening up in the organizer?
Next question, I went to download some pictures from my camera and instead of my camera software coming up, something from elements did, how do I stop this from happening?
I know this is alot of questions and would really appreciate any help. I am sure I am going to have alot more as I have never used this program before, so please bear with me.
Hi Taz, welcome,

If you are always starting up at the Welcome Screen, look down in the lower left corner. Click the little drop-down and check "Editor".

Welcome.jpg
Welcome.jpg (88.23 KiB) Viewed 1562 times

If you are opening with the Orginizer then you have probably previously checked that. To get to the Welcome Screen and reset it to what you want...
Get into Full Edit
Click Window up on the top menu line
Then Click Welcome Screen
Then select Edit as i outlined above.

I'm not sure how to turn off the Adobe photo downloader. I use that all the time and like it. Maybe somebody else can come along to tell you about that.

PSE 5 is a great program; you are going to enjoy using it. Ask away, everybody here started out the same way you are.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks Rusty, that worked. Now if only someone could answer my other question so I can download these pictures I have.
Taz
Taz, how are you downloading your pics now?
Are you plugging your camera into the PC? Or, are you removing the memory card, putting it into a card reader and plugging that card reader into your PC?

I am doing the latter because it is so much faster than using the camera -- not sure why, it just is. I guess that's why Adobe Downloader works so well for me -- just zips right along.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, I have a canon that I plug into the computer and use the canon software to download my pictures. Now that I have loaded elements their downloader pops up instead. I really don't want to use that.
Again Thank you for your help.
Taz
Hi Taz,

The good folks at Adobe allow this, BUT, you have to get into the Organizer - hopefully one last time to initiate it.

Start Organizer, then click Edit, Preferences

next, click on the Camera or Card Reader setting, (fifth down), and in the Download Options area remove the check mark from Auto Launch Adobe Photo Downloader on Device Connect.

Once done, click OK, get out of Organizer and that should do it.
John
Hi Taz....I was ready to post an answer but see you've had your question handled. :cheer2: I don't use the Organizer or photo downloader...tried them and dismissed them.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thank you, John for answering my question and you to Sunny. You guys have been so helpful.
For those who do not use the Organizer, what do you use instead?
Danny

--------------------------
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D; PSE 5; Windows XP

A brave new step:
My Flickr galleries
My much smaller but growing PrestoPhoto picts
I use multiple folders in "My Pictures," i.e., Florida 2006, Florida 2007, Skiing [year], Europe Fall 2006, Europe Spring 2007, etc. I tried Organizer but found it to be counter-intuitive to the way I work. Basically, I found it to be a PITA. :biggrin:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
29 posts Page 1 of 3