Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I do a lot of graphics stuff, using PSE4, and sometimes use the "outer glow" style to set off something. I was working on this tonight, and was wishing I knew if it was possible to change the color of the "glow".

Can this be done, and if so, could some one please explain it?
Thanks, Jan.
Jan, if you are using 5 double click on the little styles icon on you layer ..a page should come up off to the side of the outer glow section is a little color square click on that to change color. If you need a screen shot say so and I will post. Just saw you use 4 but it should be the same
Thanks, Suzi. This may be the reason I need to switch to PSE5. Apparently PSE4 doesn't offer that option. If I double click and pull up the style settings box, there are lots of size options and lighting angle, but nothing about color.
Hummmmmm, that is too bad. It is just a tiny little box on the side, but maybe not in 4.Nothing is said about color

screenshot
It is quite different, seeing your screenshot is helpful. Here's what you get with PSE4:

Thinking about switching to PSE5 is a bit daunting, after reading so many stories about problems, especially with the organizer thing. I've just gotten pretty comfortable with 4, but maybe....
Lets try something, are your glows always black or white..try changing your foreground and background colors and see what happens. This is just coming off the top of my head, so don't know what will happen. But can't hurt

Just now noticed you have an avatar..very cute.
My experience in PSE4 is not. About all you can change is extent. I suppose to get a different outer glow, I'd put a layer behind, or maybe in front, of the one of interest and fiddle on the new layer with color, size, shape, etc . Just a thought. Then I haven't really tried much. Maybe I need to upgrade. But that means learning new tricks. Hey! I'm not that old a dog. :D Good luck.
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Well, it's encouraging that I'm thinking along some of the same lines you do, Suzi. I had tried switching the background/foreground colors, but it doesn't affect the color of the glow. It's always white. I can adjust a bit by using the opacity, but that's it.

Gail, I want to try your suggestion. I admit that I forget about adding and manipulating extra layers sometimes. Hanging around here, with you photographers, is helping me think in new ways, which is great. By the way, is your dog an Australian Cattle Dog?
Gail got me to thinking. I got something going here..am including screen shots
I made a background larger than picture
then put picture on BG, duplicated it
On the second layer (pic) I did a selection of the whole image(marching ants) feathered around 33 and fill that with whatever color I want glow
deselect..gaussian blur around 50
You can use the transform tool to resize how ever you want..lower opacity if needed
Oh man the first screen shot is huge, sorry

Sewprimitive, Quill is half Austrlian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) and half Border Collie. And yes he would like to get out and herd (at least he did when he was younger). He nips at our heels and barks at every herd of sheep we pass in the car. He can't make up his mind about llamas and ignores goats. In my gallery you'll see some pics of hem. :)

Suzib, That's the kind of stuff I do at times for frames, borders, etc. I haven't specifically tried for the "glow", but it seems to have worked good for you. Another new trick. :chickendance:
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
10 posts Page 1 of 1