Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
18 posts Page 1 of 2
I have never tried to apply a frame style to any of my images. This was my first attempt.

Oval-Frame.jpg
Oval-Frame.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

This was one of Jay Arraich's free downloads. I was working with a picture my daughter took and emailed to me. She had already cropped tight to 4x6 so I didn't have as much to work with as I would have liked. It would be better if I had been able to size it to place the eyes along the "top-third line" as well as some more white space around the image.

I think it would look better with a gold frame. I googled but couldn't find anything. Does anybody have any gold frames? If so, do you remember the link to where you got them? I don't want to spend money, I'm looking for free downloads. :D

Rusty

PS - I really need training, the PSE5 frame action within "Art & Effects" isn't that easy to use. Would probably help if I found and read the instructions 8-)
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty - here's a link to 8bf.net. Lots of plugins there, including Frame Works, Foto Frame, Texture Frame... I've gotten several of the plugins from this site and actually use them.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Rusty, I also have those plug-ins and they are not bad. So far all I can find are actions.
Here's another link I found with links to multiple filter/plugin sites. I bet there are some free frames among them.
http://www.sub.inkl.co.uk/00_links_filter_e.htm

Here's one with frames: http://www.freephotoshop.com/html/gallery_p.html (this site describes the filters); here's where you go to download *Free*. http://stevesdesktopphotography.com/plugins.htm
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Rusty, you did a great job on the photo and the frame looks great.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thanks -- that's a lot of links and I should be able to find something.

What I don't understand yet is how to "size" the frame. For the photo I posted, I think a much heavier frame would look better; what I have is too skinny. I looked at two we have of the children -- studio work from years ago. The overall size is 10 inches wide x 12 inches tall and the frame size is 1-1/2 inches. So, over a 10-inch horizontal span, 3 inches is frame (30% of 10 inches) and, on the vertical, 3 of 12 inches is frame (25% of 12 inches).

If I use the Move Tool and drag the corners, the overall frame size gets bigger or smaller but the relative size of the frame, as it relates to the total, changes in proportion -- it's still skinnier than I would like -- nowhere near 25-to-30%. Am I explaining this well enough?

Maybe what I want to do is buried somewhere in the Elements Help File?

Rusty

Maybe that frame is a fixed size. I know you can size the frames in the AAA Frames filters. While I was scouting for frames, I ran across a whole slew of fun FREE filters. Some are Filter Factory plugins, which have to be converted back to .8bf files, but there's a free little program that does the conversion. If anyone is interested, just let me know while I've still got everything on my desktop. If I sleep on it too long, I'll surely forget where I got the stuff. :D

PS - Rusty, have you tried any of the frames in the Artwork section of the Artwork and Effects Palette? Just choose "show all" and scroll down until you see something you like; perhaps there's something wider there.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Rusty, Is this close to what you had in mind? I selected the frame, then control+J to copy to it's own layer, then used the move tool while holding down the shift and option keys to resize. That left an oval between the ridges of the frame which I filled with a solid color.
Yes, Linda, that's exactly what I was after.

I had tried a few other things, much more complicated and not near as effective as what you did. Thank you.

Rusty

It's me again,Sunny, asking for something. I would like to try that little program, Please
Linda, the frame looks great.
Ut oh, Rusty is repeating himself!!!!
18 posts Page 1 of 2