Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have an image from a digital camera that's 39.5" w x 29.6" h; or 2848 w x2136 h; the resolution is 72 px/inch.

I want to crop the photo then resize it to 8" x 10", then print it.

How do I go about this? I keep getting lost in technical discussions of bicubic sampling, &c.

Thanks,

Tom
First off, welcome to the forum. I am assuming you are using elements. There are several ways to do this. First you can do this..image>resize (change the dpi to 300) make sure all the boxes are unchecked. then crop at 8 x 10 at 300 dpi.
Also make sure you duplicate your image first, don't want to work on the orginal
or just crop your image at 8 x 10 at 300 dpi. I prefer to do the first way but try both to see what you can do.
I am sure there will be other suggestions also as members see this.
Hope to see you here often, we are a very friendly and helpful group of people.
I agree with Suzi. Change the dpi in the Image Resize to 300 while leaving all the boxes unchecked. You should end up with a 9.4 X 7.1 image, which is pretty close to what you want. Then do your crop. You have plenty of pixels for that picture as long as your not cropping too much out of it.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thanks, folks, very much, for the responses.

Here's the issue that I should have made clearer. I am cropping a significant amount of the photo, and in doing it I'm being guided by what I want it to look like, not size.

So, assuming that I crop that picture somewhat arbitrarily, can I thin go through the resizing process you describe?

Tom
If you crop first at a 72 dpi and then try to go larger you might not have enough to do a 8 x 10 at 300. Then you could have a problem. I think it would be best to resize first then crop. The only thing you can do is make a couple of duplicates of the picture and try both ways, see which one will give you want you want
Read the part about upsampling towards the bottom. I've successfully turned an email image into a good resoulution 8.5X10 print(thus saving a pic my mother thought lost following a hard drive crash) following the directions.
http://www.creativepro.com/article/the-truth-about-resolution/
Thanks to all. I'm still fumbling around in Elements because, well ... I am.

But I think I get the essentials: change pixels/inch to 300 (always making sure Bicubic Sampling is unchecked), do the editing/cropping, then change the image size whatever's required.

Thanks again,

Tom
As long as you are not working on the original, what harm is there to just setting the crop tool to 8x10 300 res and adjusting the crop on the photo - where it would be easy to choose just what part of the photo you wish to have as your finished product.

In my "shoot on auto" amateur photographer opinion - all this talk of losing quality by losing pixels is not all that important as long as you do not work on your original.

Try the crop - print the end product - and see if you have a finished product you are satisfied with.

BTW - I never work on originals. I copy my photos to the computer - then I copy them to a DVD - I put that DVD away for safe keeping and I never have to worry about accidentally ruining an original.
Janice
PSE 11, Mac with Mountain Lion
You may want to try (on a copy, of course) cropping by setting the cropping tool to 8x10 and leaving the resolution box blank. This will grab all the pixels you select without changing any of them. Once you decide on your crop and do it, then check the image size and resolution you end up with. Depending on how much of the picture you crop out, you will probably end up with a lot less than 300 ppi. You can then adjust the image resolution up, in about 10% increases each time, until you get to your target resolution. And you really don't have to have 300 ppi to get a decent print. You could probably get away with around 240 ppi. And when you're upsizing, you will want to have bicubic smoother picked. According to the PSE Missing Manual (page 88, that is. That's Adobe's recommendation anyway. :) Then check your image quality by viewing it on screen at print size. This will give you an idea what it will look like once you print and if you've gone too far with the upsizing and resampling.

Hopefully you'll get enough crop area to do what you want. :chickendance:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
9 posts Page 1 of 1