Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
13 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi all!
Any ideas for PSE 6 actions I could purchase or a tutorial--applying burnt edges to a picture? It's the black edged vignette effect that looks burnt.
Thank you
Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't have PSE6 so can't help with the actions but I find using the burn tool a very effective way of getting the burnt edge look as you described.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thanks to all! Lot's of the sites are for just PS. Not PSE. But the search will definately still go on. Thank you! I'd appreciate any other great hints or finds of freebies :)
Thanks,
The newbie
This is a very simple process that you can do yourself. If the posted links don't give you the info you are looking for, post back and I will be glad to write something up for you. :wave:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
most of them are for photoshop but you can easily work around them...what kind of freebies are you looking for.
ok, I took a look. Even the my Janee is not what you are after.

make a new blank layer.
edit, fill, and choose 50% gray from the drop down menu. (your layer is now gray)
Change your blend mode to overlay.
Select the burn tool. Set to midtones at around 18 - 24% opacity.
Select a soft edge brush and on your gray layer, run it around the edges until you like the effect. Do it a little more on the corners.

If you find the effect too much... lower the opacity of your burn layer.
do let me know if this worked for you?? :bigwink:

As a matter of fact.... a challenge to the forum. Give it a try and post your image. :woohoo:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kim, Kimi and Suzi, where would we be without y'all??? I forgot how to do that......look out now, I'm going to burn everything......or dodge it whatever you want to call it. My pictures, is what I'm talking about, what did you think??? :woohoo:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
Kimi, when I set the layer to overlay, you can"t see the burning..the only blend that work for me is linear light. What am I doing wrong
Try this, too. Use rectangular or or oval marque selection to draw out what don't want burned and select>inverse then select>feather(likely 20 pixels but will vary with pic). Leave selection active and click new layer icon. With the new layer active fill the selection with black and change blend mode to overlay or soft light. Can adjust further with the opacity slider. Toggle layer eye on/off to evaluate.
13 posts Page 1 of 2