Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
17 posts Page 2 of 2
Ok, I open a canon camera raw file in elements..it goes to ACR..there is no file duplicate command there. Where am I going wrong. Think I need step by step here
Suzi,

Open RAW file in Elements, go to ACR, set exposure, then click to open in Elements Editor. In Editor, do the File, Duplicate, then switch to original RAW, and close the original raw file from Editor.

Because you have duplicated the file, you should still be in Editor,

In Editor, do FIle, Open Recent and go to ACR, set exposure for #2, Open into Editor
John
Thanks, John, that is the step by step I needed. You are so smart!!!
Suzi,

just don't be surprised when you reopen the RAW file and find that it has been "adjusted". ACR remembers what you did to that file the last time (I think that's the purpose of the "XMP-file" that's created). You can "overwrite" the settings or, if you really want to start all over, click the little drop-down menu button (the one to the right of the tabs Basic and Detail) and click Camera Raw Defaults.

Rusty :)
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Good tip,Rusty. Would love to see you in the ACR/LR challenge!!!!
OK, Suzi.

Now it is time to get smart.

Smart as in Smart Object.

One problem, in LR you cant do this or at least there is only a really clutzy workaround.

So, from LR, tweak your image the way you want for the firdst exposure. I did this in the Develop Module, but whatever turns your crank - or as we used to say where I grew up - floats your boat. When done with your adjustments, right click on ther image, then click on Show in Explorer.

This will open up a Windows file Explorer window with your image selected. Find it and do a right click, Open With CS3. This will bring the image into Photoshop and open the Photoshop version of ACR. At the bottom middle of the ACR window, there is a “hyperlink” that shows the Colour Profile, bit level, image size and pixels per inch. Click on it and it will open up another window (dialogue box) that ;ets you set all of these parameters. At the bottom left of this window, there is a check box that says Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects. Put a check mark in that box, click OK and then you will find that the ACR window has changed to say Open Object. (Without the check mark, it says Open Image).

Click on the Open Object button and it will launch the image into Photoshop.

Next, click on the Layers Palette, right click on the layer blue part of the layer (not the thumbnail) and then left click on New Smart Object via Copy.

You will now have 2 layers and in the thumbnail’s lower right corner you will see a little icon that indicates Smart Object. By doing the New Smart Object via Copy layer you have created a second layer with it’s own ACR conversion capabilities. On first duplicating, it will be identical.

Double click the layer thumbnail of whichever image you want to make different and CS3 will open up the ACR conversion dialogue again and give you the capability of resetting the exposure or whatever controls you want.

Add a layer mask and paint away the stuff you want to hide/reveal and you are off to the races smartly.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you can double click the layer thumbnail at anytime and re-tweak the conversion.

This will work for Camera Raw images or for JPEG is you have set Photoshop to use the ACR dialogue for JPEG.
John
Here is the first test..I really like the flexability of this.

IMG_6193-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg
IMG_6193-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg (177.78 KiB) Viewed 913 times
17 posts Page 2 of 2