Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi I am a newbie with a question. I can open a raw file for editing and would like to reopen the same image with a different exposure and place it onto the previous image; however, when I try to find the same image it doesn't look in the organizer (pse6). Where do I find the pictures that are in the organizer? I can find pictures that are in "My Pictures" file folder, but these are not complete and don't represent all the photos that are in the organizer.

Thanks ahead of time
Welcome in this forum, Sixgil.

Yes, it would be a good idea to save two different versions of a raw file to mix them in PSE6. Of course, you cannot alter the raw data, so you'll have to open the files in Elements and save them with different names.
(You can save as psd, tiff or jpeg depending on your needs. Psd and tiff can be edited in 16 bits, but if you want to mix them, you'll have to convert to 8 bits to use layers, so choosing jpeg may be the best and simplest choice.)

If you don't find your files from the organizer, you can find them from the editor in your 'my pictures' folder. Tell us if you can find them?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thank you for the quick response. I was able to find the photo I was looking for after reading your reply. Also thank you for the extra info.
Welc9ome to the forum, sixgil. Hope to see you here often,!!!!
Hi sixgil and welcome to the forum. Glad Michel was able to help you so quickly. Hope to you around. You will find this to be a very friendly and helpful place.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Hi Sixgil,

What you can also do for creating two "exposures" of a raw file image is to open the first, adjust the raw settings to achieve one of the exposures you want, then open in elements. Once in Elements, do a File, Duplicate and it wil create a "copy" of the editable raw file.

Next switch back to the RAW file and close it.

Now do a File, Open Recently Edited FIle and you should find the RAW file you just opened at the top of the list. CLick on if and once again, adjust the exposure you want for your second image. Open it in Elements.

You now have two images, different exposures. Copy the background layer from one to the other and away you go.

Edit:

This is based on PSE4 and PSE5. Don't have 6, but they wouldn't mess with that would they? :pray:
John
John, won't your raw file turn into a tiff or jpeg when you open in elements. How do you get a copy of the raw in elements. Or am I not understanding you
Suzi,

When I open a CANON RAW file (CR2) it shows up as something.CR2 in Elements, but is is just pixels. When I do the FIle, Duplicate command it creates a file (according to Elements as something copy) again just pixels.

Opening again creates the something.CR2 (creates as produces a "copy" in memory).

Once you copy the layer and do a save you can save it as PSD or TIFF.
John
so it is sort of like making a virtual copy in LR. I am going to have to play with that. Thanks John.
Umnh, I think so, but I have only played with the virtual copy thing in LR.

WHat I was talking about applies directly to Elements and CS3.

When you open a RAW file from LR it makes a physical copy and then opens that. Treated a little different in LR than anywhere else from what I can see.
John
17 posts Page 1 of 2