Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
23 posts Page 3 of 3
turtlespirit wrote: Great thread, thanks for the info Geoff and Suzi. What is a layer mask, for PSE6/windows how/where do I download and once again (for the still a newbie...) how do you use it to avoid erasing textures. thanks

Yes, an add-on for layer mask like those of Graffi, Grant or Hiddenpower must be considered by serious Elements users. In the meantime, here is already a way to use layer masks without installing actions:
Download this psd file:
http://mbret.club.fr/bretchermichel/LayerMask.psd

Instead of adding a mask to a layer, you simply open this file together with your active file (use /Window/Images/tile to see both files at the same time). Then, from the layer palette of LayerMask.psd, you drag the layer over your working file. What you have to do now is to copy the content of the layer needing a mask into the blank layer.
Once you have dragged the layer, select the layer to be copied: Ctrl A Ctrl C,
Select the blank layer (click into the blank layer in the layers palette)
Paste into this layer (Ctrl Shift V)

You can always borrow an adjustment layer from a file by dragging it on the destination file. That works even with curves adjustment layers of Photoshop, and adjustement layers with 'blend if' options.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Suzi,
Thanks Graffi's site looks fun. I vaguely remember reading a thread on this forum about not loading some stuff into PSE because it slows the program. I remember brushes were one thing to keep in a seperate file on the external hard drive. Do actions, like his bundle, get stored in PSE without slowing? Thanks again, every new question gets amazing links and info. You guys are the best forum I've found for new folks.
I would imagine that it will slow it down depending on the amount of actions somewhat. I can tell you that I have a ton of actions loaded and don't notice a big difference!!
23 posts Page 3 of 3