Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
23 posts Page 1 of 3
I'm new to this website but I already LOVE it!

Hopefully someone can answer my question. Also, I am new -ish to PSE5 so if anyone DOES know the answer, if you could quite literally tell me in a STEP BY CAREFUL STEP way I would appreciate it! :thumbsup:

thanks!

Andrea
PSE5 - newbie / Nikon D200
the free textures you use like you would a photo. You drag the texture on top of your photo and then change the blend mode, lower opacity, or even erase some if you want.
Now if you want to use it with the filter "texturizer" you first have to change the picture into a psd file, save it. then put it here (if you are using windows xp)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Presets\Textures

If you need more help, just give a holler.
Shoot, forgot to welcome you to the forum...welcome to the forum!!!!
You would store the textures wherever you keep your images. I made a folder and named it textures and put them all in there.
So i would have a picture open, then i would open another picture (this one being the texture) then just drag it on top of the current open picture (the first one)?

Then you say blend? Where is that? how do I do that? Sorry I'm being a bit thick but I really have no clue what I'm doing...... We all have to start somewhere! ;-D
and thanks suizb! i really really do appreciate all this help!
That is exactly what you do.. blend modes are in a little box on top of layers palette...right now it should say "normal" click on the little arrow and a list will drop down. Play with all the different mode. use one..undo..use another , until you find one you like. Opacity is on the right side of layers palette, right beside the blend mode box. move slider to left.
You are a superstar! So my next question....... ~ you knew there would be one! LOL

Say I have done that exactly. Brought the texture onto the picture. Now, if it's a picture of someones face, how do I make the texture NOT be on the face but everywhere else? Do I erase this somehow? and if so, which picture am I erasing (as in, on the right hand side under the layers pallete thingy where they are blue)?

Does this make ANY sense?
I am assuming you have not downloaded a layer mask, so yes you will have to earse. Make sure the layer with the texture is highlighted (blue or grey, it will be darker) select your bursh tool and with a soft brush erase the texture you don't want. Here are other ways but not sure if you are ready for that yet!!!
Ooh, I did download the layer mask..........

I had my picture open then I tried to put the texture on top of it but the texture picture was way smaller than the first picture. I read some of the other threads and they say to resize the texture picture but how do you do that?

and as I do have the layer mask, how does that help?
to resize..have the texture image active..go to edit>resize..the go to the windows tab and click on the name of the other image. It will look huge but just click on the view tab and go to fit on screen.
Layer masks are the great thing since sliced bread. Add a layer mask to your texture in the layers palette. You should now have the texture a link symbol and a white box Make sure the mask is active (there will be a little white box around it) paint with black on that.
23 posts Page 1 of 3