Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
15 posts Page 1 of 2
Ok really beginner here. I have found some frames that I might like in the Newsletters. I have downloaded them to the computer. They are compressed (zipped) folders. I believe to open I just double click them, which I haven't done yet. If I am wrong please give full instructions. PS. I downloaded "Shari's frames.zip" and "Tropical Frames.zip"

Now the main question is How do I put the frames/files that are in the folder into Elements 5? I will need step by step instructions please. :)
For now, just double click on the zipped folder and see what's in there. You may find a Readme file or some other instructions.
If that's not the case, there are a few different options, depending on your OpSystem and your PSE version.
If you just right-click on the folder and hit Extract you get a dialog asking where you want to put the files.
However, sometimes there will be three files for each Action, two (the .atn and a thumbnail file) go into one folder and the other (an .xml file) goes elsewhere, so "Extract" isn't really helpful on this occasion.

So, these are the options, once you've unzipped the files of any Action onto your Desktop or some other clear place. If anybody has any corrections to this procedure, please let me know and I will edit this post so that we always have these instructions available (this didn't come right off the top of my head).

if you were on PSE5 and WinXP:just copy the .atn file and the .psd files into C: (Local Disk) > Documents and Settings > All Users > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Photo Creations > photo effects.

If there's a .xml file there as well, that goes into C: (Local Disk) > Documents and Settings > All Users > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Locale > en_US > Photo Creations Metadata > photo effects.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

if you were on PSE6 and WinXP: just copy the .atn file and the .psd files into C: (Local Disk) > Documents and Settings > All Users > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Photo Creations > photo effects. <b>BUT</B> the psd file will need to be converted to a PNG file (just open it in PSE and re-save as a png in the same place)

If there's a .xml file there as well, that goes into C: (Local Disk) > Documents and Settings > All Users > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Locale > en_US > Photo Creations Metadata > photo effects.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

if you were on PSE5 and Vista: just copy the .atn file and the .psd files into C: (Local Disk) > Program Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Photo Creations > photo effects.

If there's a .xml file there as well, that goes into C: (Local Disk) > Program Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Locale > en_US > Photo Creations Metadata > photo effects.

if you were on PSE6 and Vista: just copy the .atn file and the .psd files into C: (Local Disk) > Program Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Photo Creations > photo effects. <b>BUT</B> the psd file will need to be converted to a PNG file (just open it in PSE and re-save as a png in the same place)

If there's a .xml file there as well, that goes into C: (Local Disk) > Program Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Locale > en_US > Photo Creations Metadata > photo effects.

If you're on a Mac, you'd better wait until a Mac-sort comes along.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I think these frames you just use as an overlay on your image. So they would not go into elements, just treat like a regular photo. I will have to go look at them again to be sure but think that is what they are.
Yes, true, some frames are just graphics, some are "effects" with an xml file.
If the frames in question are simple graphics, my long posting above is slightly wasted, but no worries, I'll keep it as a txt file and post it next time somebody an Action question.

Gallery
Actually Geoff, there are always questions here about loading actions into elements and now with the Mac version out there will be more. What you wrote was great and it is a good thing you kept the file cuz I am sure you will be using it again. Thanks for posting it
thks for the Instructions. Hi there again Geoff. You have helped me before on Flickr. I have printed your instructions out incase I come acroos files with those extensions.

Ok I have opened the zip file and then the folder that is in there and I see Frame 10.png, Frame 11.png, etc. etc. and then Thumbs.db.

When I right click the .png file my only option is to click Open and a window called "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" open with the frame shown. I have never seen this before so I am lost again. Please forgive me but what do I do now. Can I put it in "My Pictures" folder somehow so that it will go into Elements 5 Organizer for future use.

Another question is on the "Thumbs.db" file. Right flicking and the open tells me it is a system file and should not be open, it might cause something not to work. Do I just leave it alone then and not put it somewhere on my computer.

I told you I am a real beginner here so please be patient with me. :)
Yes, put the png files in my pictures and when you want to use it just open like you would any photo in Elements. The other file is not needed at all.
Tks for the quick reply, but I need to know how I put them in the folder I want.

Ok forget this question. I found the save button. :woohoo:
Firstly, when first looking at folders through "My Computer", click on the Tools on the folder menu. You will find "Folder Options" in there. Click on that and then on the View tab. In the table below that you will find the entry, "Hidden files and folders" and under that you will see an option button for "Show hidden files and folders". You need that to be checked or you won't be able to navigate around your computer.

Now, if you open the new, downloaded folder on your desktop you can move the files inside it to anywhere else with a drag and drop.....
How? Open Start > My Computer > C: Local Disk > etc - you'll end up looking at a folder that you want to take your files into. PSE has two different "paths" do its folders (as shown in my longer posting earlier here).

You would now have two folders open on your Desktop - the folder where your new files are and the folder where you want to take them. Just click and drag (left mouse button, click and "hold" and move the files to the other folder.

The instructions I gave before kind of assumed you had frame files which I thought would go in the frames folder in PSE. However, as they're png files (and all my frame files are psd) I'm not so sure. Aren't there any instructions for how they're used?

Gallery
Geoff, I have a question, if you don't mind.

You wrote:
if you were on PSE5 and WinXP:just copy the .atn file and the .psd files into C: (Local Disk) > Documents and Settings > All Users > Adobe > Photoshop Elements > 6.0 > Photo Creations > photo effects.

Could you have possibly meant this path for PSE6? I have PSE5 on WinXP, and I don't find a folder called "Photo Creations. I do have the option for "show hidden files" checked. Is there another name for the file in PSE5?

Thanks!
15 posts Page 1 of 2