Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
15 posts Page 2 of 2
MichelB wrote: I'm not a native English speaker, but that does not excuse bad typing and not re-reading my posts...
That's okay. I'm new, so I don't understand all the photo speak at times and seriously didnt' know what you meant. Later it hit me. :P
kimi_boo wrote: As far as processing my images there is not much I do in CS that I could not do in Elements. The key is to really get in there and learn everything the software has to offer. This will come over time...

Get involved in the challenges and homeworks. There is no right or wrong and it allows you to get in and play with things you may not have thought of. :biggrin:

That's what I've heard before, which is why I went with Elements. It's just so frustrating when i'm trying learn new things and seemingly all the tutorials and shortcuts are for the CS versions.

Homework...maybe I'll try that.

I just ordered Scott Kelby's book. I'd gotten the Dummies book but it was more basic than what I needed. so if anyone wants it....
geoff_chalcraft wrote: I regularly look at the messages on the Photoshop Support Group on Flickr and have to laugh at so many people who ask the most basic of questions - on topics that they would also clearly have had problems with in Elements.

Why they spent that much money on "full" Photoshop is anybody's guess - probably the attitude of "well I want to sell my pictures, so that makes me a professional, so I must need professional software". I don't even think most professionals need CS2/3, unless they're heavily into graphic design and illustration. For photography, PSE has all you need. As a matter of fact, don't tell anybody, but the free "Gimp" program can also do most things a photography professional needs.

Oooo - a van marked "Adobe" has pulled up outside and four big guys in combat gear have got out.......

Probably the same reason people have to have expesnive SLRs when they don't even take good snapshots. That's my gripe. :| :) My idea has always been to work with what I have until I really need the upgrade. I do a good bit of graphic design, but probably not what you'd call heavily into. More like a collage w/ ever sesion, occassional birth announcements and a lot of Christmas cards during the season.

My friend told me the same thing about Gimp, but he also said you have to be a real computer brain to figure things out.
captureamoment...... I agree about "Gimp" - I keep hearing that it can do just about anything that CS can do, but it's got such different methods that I just glaze over in front of it.

kevq - clearly I'd gone before I saw your post....... yes, the "ferry" was the Queen Mary 2 - absolutely brilliant in every way (though i was amazed that Jane Russell was appearing in the onboard theatre! - yes, THAT Jane Russell!!!). Not that I'm the sort of person that just hops on luxury liners as the feeling takes me, but the one way trip was actually superb value as a 'trip of a lifetime' thing, and quite affordable, if not something I could do every year. Only snag is that now I've tasted the high life I want some more! I'll be posting various pictures on the gallery once I get through some editing - I've got about 700 pictures to wade through.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Welcome back, Geoff. Hope you had fun!!!
15 posts Page 2 of 2