Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
15 posts Page 1 of 2
Can I create my own actions? If so, where?
You can't create actions with Elements. Bad luck today!
You can't use the pen tool either... For other missing tools, we could probably give you workarounds. There are generally many ways to do any editing in Elements as well as in Photoshop. The problem is there are much more tutorials for Photoshop.
Personally, I don't miss Photoshop at all, but if you want a professional us later on, it's the way to go.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
MichelB wrote: but if you want a professional us later on, it's the way to go.

professional us?

I'm a portrait photographer. I just started last fall. I was really busy then because of Christmas and all. Now I'm doing about one session per week. Not quite. It's enough editing that I sometimes feel as though I'm wasting time, but maybe I just don't know how to work efficiently, yet. I've only had elements for a few months. Do you think I'd be happier with the upgrade? I mean, I would; but is it worth the investment, or should I keep working until my business is built up a little more?
I'm not a native English speaker, but that does not excuse bad typing and not re-reading my posts...
That being said, for professional use, most will encourage you to jump to Photoshop. What I can tell you is that what you'll learn in Elements will be useful later on.
Other ideas: did you consider Lightroom? It is very professional and Elements would be a nice complement at a reasonable price. Or maybe CS2 at a better price?
For portraits, professional plug-ins like portraiture should work fine in Elements.
I am sure you'll get more advice on other forums like RetouchPro. The problem is that professional retouchers use only Photoshop.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I had Elements 4 then upgraded to 5 then upgraded to CS3.

As far as processing my images there is not much I do in CS that I could not do in Elements. The key is to really get in there and learn everything the software has to offer. This will come over time...

Get involved in the challenges and homeworks. There is no right or wrong and it allows you to get in and play with things you may not have thought of. :biggrin:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I regularly look at the messages on the Photoshop Support Group on Flickr and have to laugh at so many people who ask the most basic of questions - on topics that they would also clearly have had problems with in Elements.

Why they spent that much money on "full" Photoshop is anybody's guess - probably the attitude of "well I want to sell my pictures, so that makes me a professional, so I must need professional software". I don't even think most professionals need CS2/3, unless they're heavily into graphic design and illustration. For photography, PSE has all you need. As a matter of fact, don't tell anybody, but the free "Gimp" program can also do most things a photography professional needs.

Oooo - a van marked "Adobe" has pulled up outside and four big guys in combat gear have got out.......
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I think it depends on what you start with, I started with photoshop and now have Elements 6, but my basics I learned with photoshop and I tend to do what I know how in photoshop and then into Elements so I tend to toggle between both
Poeple who started with paint shop pro very rarely cross over to photoshop
so I tend to think it what you started with
Off subject a
bit regarding actions but just continuing the debate
Pam
geoff_chalcraft wrote: Oooo - a van marked "Adobe" has pulled up outside and four big guys in combat gear have got out.......

LOL!! Sorry Geoff but Ontario is a little too far for me to go and help you out. :rotfl:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
At this point I'd better just mention that I'll be away in the UK for the next three weeks, on holiday. Just don't want anybody thinking that my disappearance has anything to do with the Adobe gents. I hope.

Talking of hope. I hope to get lots and lots of pictures - I'm going over on a ferry from NY to Southampton and flying back in mid-May from Glasgow to Ottawa.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Geoff,
hope you escape the heavy.
Hope you have a great time in our beautiful country.
Your ferry doesn't happen to be one of the Queens, does it?
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
15 posts Page 1 of 2