Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
17 posts Page 1 of 2
I have an idea for a layout using a folding screen.
Something like this (quick & dirty, I would do a more precise job to make the panels the same size)

Screen.jpg
Screen.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

It needs shadows or something to give "depth". I can, of course, use the built in "drop shadows" within Elements:

Screen2.jpg
Screen2.jpg (15.3 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

Is there something else I should be thinking of? I think the drop shadows look OK but I was just wondering if I was missing something that I ought to know.

Thanks,

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I think the shadows that come with elements look fine, did you want a more dramatic effect
Pam
Adding a bevel (Simple Sharp Inner) may look good:

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

Juergen
Rusty, Assuming that each panel is on its own layer. duplicate each panel. This gives you a pair of layers for each panel. Fill the bottom layer of each pair in what ever color you want your drop shadow to be. (In CS3 you can actually choose a color for a drop shadow). Then with transform (cntl-t) on the bottom layer of each pair, move your shadow to where you want it. Usually clicking your direction arrows a few clicks will suffice. With these shadows as separate layers, you can adjust any way you can normally adjust any layer. I use this approach a lot in type layers to get some contrast. It'll work on any layer set up. Just remember: copy, backfill the bottom, and move and adjust as you desire. :wave:
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Rusty,
Another way to make your own shadows is:
Place each screen on a separate layer, or you can put all screens on the same layer.
make selection of the screen(s).
create a new blank layer below the screen layer.
With the selection active and the new blank layer being the active layer, fill the selection with black
This puts a new black screen directly under the existing screen.
On the black screen layer, filter blur - gaussian blur; use a fairly strong blur.
Using free transform, move the black screen layer slightly out of alignment with the original screen layer
Reduce opacity if this shadow is to overpowering.
The really nice thing about this method is that the shadow can be any color; the built in drop shadows are OK, but only come in gray.
Joe
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Wow Gail, you beat me to it by a few seconds.
Joe
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Joe_Kostoss wrote: ...the built in drop shadows are OK, but only come in gray.

No, they don't. :bigwink:

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

Juergen
Juergen is exactly right, Joe, try it. Click the little "sunburst thing" on the right side of the layer (after you apply the shadow style) and look at all the things you can change.

Juergen, bevel is a natural -- I knew I was forgetting something obvious. Thanks.

I'm not trying for anything super fancy, just a natural looking screen without going over the top.

Gail/Joe - good idea. I've done that with some OOB creations so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks all, just the kind of reminders I was looking for.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty,
Thanks for the tip about changing the color of drop shadows. That knowledge makes drop shadows a lot more interesting.

Have fun,
Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Rusty wrote: Juergen is exactly right, Joe, try it. Click the little "sunburst thing" on the right side of the layer (after you apply the shadow style) and look at all the things you can change.

I am using Elements 4.0. Where is the little "sunburst thing". I'm not on my computer now, so I can't check, but I use shadows a lot and I have never seen it. Is it in PSE 6?
Joe
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

17 posts Page 1 of 2