Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone. I'm new to digital photo software, and just got Elements 2 with my first scanner. Every time I start it up it tries to download something from the net, whether I'm on line or not. I think it says "awed.txt".

This starts every time, and if I'm on the net my modem active light flashes a few times, then a message pops up saying the file could not be downloaded. This is very annoying. I have to click cancel several times, or no if it is asking to try again before it all goes away.

I don't know whether I need the file or not, but it it can't be downloaded how can I stop Elements from repeatedly trying?

alpha
Are you on a Mac and what brand of scanner??? I have found one reference to what sounds like your problem but it is in spanish. Going to have to get it translated.
Very puzzling.....

Firstly, your Elements 2 is about seven years old and as a bundled piece of software I'm amazed that the scanner maker and/or retailer can get away with it. If you can afford the latest version (PSE6) or even a used PSE4 or 5, go for that.

When you say "Every time I start it up..." do you mean when you run Elements or when you run the scanner? The "awed.txt" is a complete mystery. As a text file it's not going to affect your running of PSE or the scanner, but the modem and online download attempt would be annoying.

I see suzib is on the case so I'll see what turns up.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Can anyone here read spanish. I found, I think, the answer but it is written in spanish!!!!
Ok, I think I got it..found an english version. Someone else was having the same problem with elements 2. They were on a Mac and the scanner was an Epson. Don't know if that is what you have but try this. Both parties said it fixed the problem

To turn off the automatic update/download function, open the application and go to Preferences > Adobe Online and where it says Update Options set Check for Updates to never.

If you are unable to open the application due to it stalling up at the "AWEXfiles.txt" message, disconnect your internet connection and then open the app. You'll get an error message stating it can't connect. Just click "okay" and proceed. Once the app opens and you change the automatic update preferences, you can reconnect your internet connection.
link to the discussion from elements 2 users
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 9&#1001049
Thanks Suzi, that worked. Thanks for the link to the original discussion too.

Geoff, thanks for responding. I realize this is a very old version of Elements, but it was "free" so I figured I'd play with it for a while. Right now all I'm trying to do is get some old family photos copied, and maybe brighten them a little, take out a few scratches, etc. Almost all are black and white.

I realize I'll probably want something better eventually if I really get serious about working with digital photos. If I can learn enough about using PE 2 to do what I want, I'll be happy. If I decide I need something better I'll do my best to afford it.

My computer is a P4 3ghz running XPHome SP3. The new scanner is an Epson 4490.

Thanks again to both of you,

alpha
Hey Alpha,
welcome to this forum. Stick around, as you can see, we have folks here that know the answer to EVERYTHING!

Rusty

PS - I bought an Epson 4990 just a bit over a year ago. It also was bundled with PSE2
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Welcome Alpha... :P

An easy levels adjustment should start you on the right path.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
alpha, I am so glad that worked for you. Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you here often.
Good news! Glad that's sorted. Good point, Alpha, about Elements 2. It has all the basics of the current edition, I think, so it's not bad to learn on. A lot of the tutorials you find on the web should apply to your version.

Oh, and the "Answer to Everything"............... 42.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
20 posts Page 1 of 2