Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm brand new to the board and Photoshop Elements 6 so I really need some help.

Can anyone tell me how I can bring back the original colors to specific features in a photo I have converted to Black & White?

I saw that this could be done some where and I can't remember where. I tried everything I could think of last night with no success.

Thanks
SouthPaw :wave:
Welcome in this friendly forum, Southpaw!
If you have saved your converted black and white image in jpeg format, there is nothing you can do to restore the original colours, the colour information has been lost. There are ways to colorize a black and white image, but that is only painting... That would be different if you had saved the image in a format like PSD (Photoshop) or Tiff, with the black and white conversion on another layer.
The general advice is always to keep the original image unchanged, save the edited one with another file name, and always work on a background copy while editing, saving your work from time to time in PSD or Tiff format as a safeguard should there be computer problem.
Others members can perhaps point you to tutorials about colorizing black and white images?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
If you have a color version of the photo you can do this..Link to thread below..michel did a very detailed explaination of how to do it.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3221

Oops. forgot welcome to the forum...it is a great place with lots of helpful people.
Thanks- This is exactly what I was looking for!! :woohoo:

Now all I have to do is make it happen and remember for the future.

You will probably be seeing a bunch of beginner questions from me, but I'm a pretty quick learner.

Thanks again

SouthPaw
Glad that helped you out. Hope to see you here often.
Check out this turorial by Tim Shelbourne for a splash of color with a B&W image. I found this tutorial very useful.
This is one of tutorials from his PHotoshop Photo Effects Cookbook.

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop ... /index.htm

John
Thanks to all for your helpful advice!!! :thanks:

I just wanted to let you know that I was successful in processing a photo of a Tulip and it came out pretty cool.

One of these days I'll figure out how to post / upload the photo's to show what I am learning.

Until then I'll keep plugging away and learning.

Thanks again

SouthPaw
Here are instructions on how to post an image in your post:

at the bottom of the box you type in is a upload attachment ..click on that..then browse to where the image is that you want to upload (it has to be resize to 500 pixels at it largest side).when you find the image click open..then on add the file..lastly click on place inline. That should do it. If you need more help give a holler.

Hope to see some pictures soon.
8 posts Page 1 of 1