Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone

I have just this week changed from my trusty old Paint Shop Pro to Photoshop Elements 6.0 as i know that Photoshop is the way to go! I am needing some help and i hope my silly questions dont frustrate you all! lol

I thought it would an easy move to make and that most of the ways they work would be very similar.
But i am having trouble with alot of the simple procedures.

The first and most frustrating is when i'm in edit mode i am trying to copy from one image to paste as new layer onto nest but when i right click there is no option to copy.

Am i doing something hideousley wrong here??

Also when in the create mode using the artwork tools, i am having alot of trouble getting the text option to work, as i cannot move the text once typed.
Also the filters for tools in artwork are never highlighted to use them.

I hope someone can help me get started on this program as it seems so much better and i really am keen to learn as much as i can to make the most out of it.

XOXOXOX
Hi Annie and Welcome!! :biggrin:

We have all been where you are now. Try not to get too frustrated, it will come together soon enough.
Ask away... everyone will be nice.

To answer one of your questions.
After you type your words. Hit Ctrl T, this will bring up the free transform box. You can then move it where you want it to go or take one of the corners and make it bigger or smaller. Double click in the box to commit the changes.

EDIT: the copy and paste thing works a little different. Hit Ctrl A, you will get the marching ants around your image. now you should be able to copy and paste.

You can also open more than one item at a time and drag from one layer into your new document.
hit V to select your move tool.

You will find the software is much easier once you learn some of the key board shortcuts. :chickendance:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi Annie and welcome.

As Kimi, ask away, we have all been where you are and are happy to help out. We have a great bunch of people here, very helpful and friendly. One big happy family.

Not being able to right click to copy and paste is a major down fall for Photoshop but you will get use to other options. In addition to what Kimi has explained, if you are not comfortable with using the Control key commands, you can also go to the top tool bar, click Edit and it in drop down choose copy, go to your other image you want to paste it into and click edit again and paste.

When you find that you are not getting some option to show for you, make sure that you don't have part of your image selected, marching ants as Kimi called them, if you do just click Select on the top tool bar and choose deselect.

Hope this was of some help and again, WELCOME.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I don't know if 6 is that much different from 5 but the option to copy and paste will not work on a background layer. In order to be able to copy and paste a layer that says background you have to change it to a regular layer. Double click the layer, then a pop-up comes up saying "new layer..layer 0" click ok. NOw you can do either a select>all..then edit> copy...then edit> paste. Or hold your mouse on the image thumbnail,click and press the ctrl key (marching ants) then do the edit> copy. Hope this makes sense to you. If not just give a holler. There are lots of people here willing to help.
Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Hope to see you here often.
Suzi, I never thought about the background layer. :oops:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, when I first started using elements that was a major problem for me..it is now embedded in my brain!!!!
Thankyou everyone for your warm welcomes and mostly for all your helpful advice.

I'm going to go put it all to the test now!!!! lol

:woohoo:

Annie
Hope it works for you, Anne. Like I said before if you need help just ask!!!!
Annie

the most important bit of advice I can give....
don't make yourself crazy trying to figure something out. Just come and ask. :love:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi, Anne. Welcome, and ditto what Kimi said. Ask away, and someone is bound to know the answer or try to figure it out for you. Several of us here use PSE6, so you've got lots of ears to bend.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
12 posts Page 1 of 2