Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
16 posts Page 2 of 2
If you take the out of the camera orginal to a printer and say have a 8 x 10 printed, it would be horribly cropped, and the image would be yuck. It my menory serves me that camera is a 10 megapixel, the size of the print as out of the camera would be over 48 inches on the longest side.
Take your image into elements, first make a duplicate and close out the orginal (never work on the orginal).Now go to image>image size and where it says 72 dpi change that to 300 and see how the overall size of the images changes should be close to a 12 x 8. Now if you want an 10 x 8 change the sizes in the boxes with the inches. All you need to do is change the largest number. See how close to an 8 x 10 you can get. The dpi will be large but that won't hurt anything as far as printing goes. At least it doesn't for me. I hope you can understand me but if you need I can post some screenshots.
Oops forgot to add make sure the resample box is unchecked!!!!
Thanks Suzi, I didn't know I would need to change all this when printing. I actually have been playing alot with the numbers on the screen your talking about. I have been trying to get pictures ready for a website. Do you have any special instructions on getting picture ready for websites? The numbers you gave me would be valid for printing but what about sharpening and resizing for the web? Thanks for all your help tonight. Jacque-
there are many different ways to do that but here is what I do. After I have made all my edits, I go to File>save for web, then depending on what size the site needs I type the longest side into the either width or height box. All my images here are sized to either 800 or 900 on the longest side. There are several boxes on that page, make sure you have jpeg selected and I do maximum quality. Again if you need I can post a screenshot of that but it is pretty easy.
Suzi or anyone else, please chime in. I understand to do a size of an 8X10 but what if I need a wallet size or 4x6 or 5x7. Do I still use a DPI of 300? Is thereanything else I need to change? I changed the size to 4x6 took it to the local Walgreens and one of the pics was missing part of the hand, on screen it looked fine, what would cause this? Does this mean I will never be able to print a 4x6?
Thanks-
Jacque
Yes you can still do a 4 x 6..either crop to 4 x 6 at 300 dpi. Or try this..go to image size and put in 4 x 6 and see what happens. I can do this and it works, the dpi is really high but that is not a problem. I have been able to print with a much higher dpi than 300 (4 x 6)
another thing to do is after you crop or resize do a test print on your home printer
16 posts Page 2 of 2