Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm new to this forum and fairly new to elements 6. I have not used any of the previous editions. I have several photos of one person or several people with cluttered or distracting backgrounds. I have tried using different selection tools to select the people only, but can never seem to be able to select just the person or people. Any advice on the best way to do this? Also, if I am able to select them, what is the best way to replace the background. Can I just change it to a solid color on the original image or do I need to move the person/people to another photo with a solid background? Thanks, Greg
Have you tried the background eraser tool? it;s nested under the eraser. I would work on a duplicate image. Another option on a dupe would be to paint over the background with the brush tool at 100% in normal mode. Once you have the background either gone or a solid color, could use magic wand to select background and then invert to select the people.
I have tried the background eraser too also without success. How do you make a duplicate to work on? thanks
Hi Greg and welcome to the forum. You will love it here and find everyone friendly and helpful.

To make a duplicate of your image just click Ctrl J and make all of your changes on that layer and never your original photo layer. When I am trying to select a group I use the eraser tool a lot and zoom in real close to the people and change the eraser size several times when needed. Once you have the people selected you can either drag the layer they are on to a new background or you can drag the new background to the existing photo and them drag the layer below the people layer just above your original image.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
gm319 wrote: I have tried the background eraser too also without success. How do you make a duplicate to work on? thanks

To make a duplicate of your image(not a duplicate background layer) go to file>duplicate. No matter how you get rid of the background, will need to zoom in to get edges.
Thanks for the tips! I hope to try them soon. My trial copy of PSE ran out and Ihave ordered a copy from Amazon.
6 posts Page 1 of 1