Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
4 posts Page 1 of 1
What are vectors and how do they work? Are they usable in Photoshop elements programs?
Vectors are lines or shapes described mathematically in software - we're usually talking Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw etc. but we can use vector shapes and lines from inside PSE - generally the custom shapes and lines. Vector Shapes are created based on mathematical calculations rather than a specific number and pattern of pixels; this allows them to be resized without causing the image to become jagged, or pixelated. Every time a vector shape is changed in any way, PSE or CS redraws the image, filling in pixels as necessary; therefore, no quality is lost.

The Vector Shape tools include the Rectangle tool, the Rounded Rectangle tool, the Ellipse tool, the Polygon tool, the Line tool, and the Custom Shape tool. The Custom Shape tool lets you select a shape from a library of available shapes, such as arrows, check marks, footprints, and stars. You can download lots more, generally free, from the web. When the image is flattened, the vector shapes cease to be resizeable.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
One thing to add to Geoff's great description, if you don't flatten the image but simplify it it is still resizeable.
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
Sorry for the belated reply but thanks very much for the info...I'm not sure how to download free vectors but I am sure I will figure out how...or I'll be back to ask someone here!
4 posts Page 1 of 1