Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
21 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi fellow shutterbugs,
I joined a couple weeks ago, but just got the courage to post for the first time. This forum looks like it will be a great help to me as I trudge through the process of learning Elements! Thanks for all the wonderful information I've gleaned from just reading post after post on this site! Now, if I could just stop reading the posts and actually DO something with the thousands of photos I've shot within the last few years! Can someone please help me with that dilemma? :) Pretty please? :) I need a challenge here!

First question (actually the second-see previous line in this post for first!)
Is there a way to see the posted question on this board by hovering over the subject line (some kind of setting I need to change, perhaps) instead of having to click on each message before knowing what it is about?

Next, I've noticed that most of the images posted are just links that I have to click on before seeing the image. Is it possible to see thumbnails in the actual post so I'll know what the photo is about before clicking to see the full version? Is there a reason that most of the posts contain links instead of thumbnails?

Third, is this board affiliated with a blog or website that has Elements information other than just this forum? If so, where can I find that?

Now, thanks to all who fill me in on this info. Sorry to have so many questions here without posting a photo dilemma, but that will be coming soon! Just want to get these basics in my head before posting something and looking dumb to all of you! Like, why is she asking that - doesn't she know the answer is in _____:)

Looking forward to getting to know you through photos,
Terry
Hi, and welcome. Don't ever be afraid to post.....we're always up for a challenge. Let me address your questions in the order you posed them.

1. No, but I know exactly what you're talking about and wish there were.

2. Actually, I've found that most everyone posts at least a thumbnail. Here are a couple of different ways to post pictures. If you want to post directly, save your file to be 500 px on the longest side and no more than 250 kb. You can accomplish that in Elements by going to File-Save for Web. Then, you use the Upload Attachment tab at the bottom of your post to upload the picture. Once it's uploaded, click on "place inline," and your picture will appear as part of your post. Another way, and the one I use most, is to save the document for web using 800 px to 1200 px on the longest side and upload to pixentral.com (just go there, browse for your file on your computer and hit send.) Once the file is uploaded to pixentral, scroll down to the bottom of the picture and you'll see two urls. Copy the SECOND (bottom) url and past it into your post. That will put a thumbnail in the post that, if you click on it, will take you to the larger picture.

3. No, but if you look around on here, there are threads specifically for links to tutorials either written by members here or found elsewhere on the internet. There is also a Newsletter posted every month (except this August, but that's another story) that has tips, interviews, tutorials and freebies.

I hope this helps. If I haven't been clear, just say so and I'll try to do better. :bigwink:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Hi, Terry, welcome to the forum. Sunny answered all of your questions. There are so many experienced elements users on this forum that I think all of your questions can and will be answered. I would suggest you start with the challenge section and start doing some of the challenges (start with Kimi's kreative H/W). You can go all the way back to the first one on all the challenges and do them all.
Hope to see you here often.
Hi, Terry. Welcome. This is a great forum with lots of talented and caring folks. :wave:
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Hi Terry... Welcome! :biggrin:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi Terry, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and there's always someone around to answer questions. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. This is an extremely friendly and pleasant group of people.

Anita
Hi and welcome. I am learning quite a bit also. I have been participating for about three months and have learned so much more than I did in the year I tried books and self teaching. Forum members are kind, patient and friendly (funny too) I agree with the recommendation to start with Kimi's homework, but watch the challenges, a new one is posted each day, by reading how and what forum members are doing to transform a photo you will get an idea of what techniques you want to start with.
Welcome :cheer2:
Welcome, Terry. You have come to the right place. To echo what the others have said -- people here are so friendly and patient with all kinds of questions. Remember -- there is no dumb question. Ask away!!! :wave:
Hello Terry & welcome! Don't be afraid to ask or post, we all have been in your shoes! We all learn together here and I think you will be very comfortable in no time at all! :wave:
Oh my! I wasn't expecting to have 7 replies in 12 hours! Thank you all so much for the kind welcome!

Sarch, thanks for answering my questions. I do wish there was a way to see more of the posts without having to click it :cry: I'll try to follow your instructions for including pics in the posts. I don't have Pixcentral. I'll keep looking through tutorials, actually - I need to stop looking through tutorials and actually try to apply some of them to my photos! I'll also check out the newsletters. Do you have to purchase them before downloading? Can I save all the back ones to my computer somehow so that I can refer to them?

Suzi, thanks for the homework suggestions. I've looked at Kimi's work many times while lurking around here. I love it. Was disappointed to read that she was taking a break from homework for awhile. I'll look forward to finding some of the past work and trying it out.

Kimi, I'm glad you responded to my note. I saw your work here and have also been following your blog for a short while. I love your Photographic Art! It's just my style and I look forward to trying my hand at it. I hope you will still be around to give advice to this newbie on some of your cool techniques. One question I have for you is about your actions or brushes. Are they available for download? I don't really know exactly what actions or brushes are - just that great things can be done with them!

Quillabee, Anita, Turtlespirit, Crunkle, and Smiles - thanks alot for the welcome and I look forward to spending time getting to know you all here.

Thanks again!
Terry AKA Joseph, Ezra, Leah, and soon coming Caroline's Grammy :D
21 posts Page 1 of 3