Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
5 posts Page 1 of 1
HI,
I want PSE6 Organizer to skip over images that have already been included in the Organizer when I download my memory card. Is there a setting so I won't have duplicates?

Complicating the issue: I saved some of my memory card images on my desktop in several different files (different cards at seperate times) and want to make sure all of those images get in my catalog without repeats of same images.

Further complication: I have 2 different Sony digital cameras, H 10 and W55. The image files all start with DSC on the memory cards. Some images have the same filename but are different images. Is there a way to keep both images with the same names (perhaps the name will need to be changed) and not write over the first one that was included in the catalog?

Is it possible to change a setting within the camera so that it will name the images something other than DSC... in one camera, say change my point and shoot files to PDSC... or something like that?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm ready to get some more work done on cataloging my images and thought I'd better clear these issues up first.

Terry
I'm sorry, I don't use Organizer. I think Kimi does, though, and likes it. I use ACDSee for organizing scrap stuff, brushes, etc., and use the "My Pictures" folder with multiple sub-folders to organize my photos. Hopefully, someone who uses Organizer will chime in here.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Terry,

I used the Organizer with PSE4 & PSE5 until I switched to Lightroom and CS3, so what I am talking about may not apply exactly to PSE6, but they are general in nature.

First off as to names – I had the same problem with multiple cameras and cards and was creating duplicate names without knowing it.

I started downloading and renaming my images to IMG2008-07-nnnn (IMGyyyy-mm-seq number) no matter which camera I shot them on. I also always download as soon as I get home, backup to EHD and then reformat the card in-camera.

This gives me unique names.

Secondly, I download my images to a folder structure that goes My Pictures/Adobe/2008/2008-07/

And then number them from 0001 at th e start of each month. (I am a date driven guy, so this works for me.)

I NEVER put image copies in more than one directory. Big mistake in my opinion.

I would then use the Organizer tags to divide and replicate the type of thing that makes you want to store them in multiple folders. I am on old Data Base guy and duplicates are a big issue to me, so I would use the tags.
John
I don't even use organizer. It is a pain. You can tell PSE to skip that if you want. I make my own files and move images around myself. It takes discipline but I know where all my art files are and all my family files are. I work on an EHD and just create new folders as I go along. Usually by year (for the family photos then sub folders within....) and for my art files I move photos by subject. This is where hovering is helpful. I was desperate to find a pix the other day and couldn't remember if it was 2006 or 2007 and was able to hover and get enough info to find it quickly. I am working towards backing up my EHD as those fail too...
jlwilm wrote: Terry,

I used the Organizer with PSE4 & PSE5 until I switched to Lightroom and CS3, so what I am talking about may not apply exactly to PSE6, but they are general in nature.

First off as to names – I had the same problem with multiple cameras and cards and was creating duplicate names without knowing it.

I started downloading and renaming my images to IMG2008-07-nnnn (IMGyyyy-mm-seq number) no matter which camera I shot them on. I also always download as soon as I get home, backup to EHD and then reformat the card in-camera.

This gives me unique names.

Secondly, I download my images to a folder structure that goes My Pictures/Adobe/2008/2008-07/

And then number them from 0001 at th e start of each month. (I am a date driven guy, so this works for me.)

I NEVER put image copies in more than one directory. Big mistake in my opinion.

I would then use the Organizer tags to divide and replicate the type of thing that makes you want to store them in multiple folders. I am on old Data Base guy and duplicates are a big issue to me, so I would use the tags.

I agree with John. No two people have the same idea of organization, so you'll have to find your own way and make the most of your available tools. I am using the organizer and testing ACDsee Pro2, and have also used the Canon Zoombrowser, Picasa. All of these can greatly help you provided you keep in mind that you have to be organized, which means knowing your own choices at first and your goals are not contradictory: keeping a lot of pictures on your cards and saving them multiple times on your computer cannot be helped by any software.
Nearly all of these programs have ways to change the file names when importing them from card or camera. They all suggest a folder structure based on shot date or camera on your disk. They all can delete the imported files from the card if you want to. They all let you select which pictures to import. If you want to keep a lot of old pictures on your card, it is up to you to select which ones. If you want to keep your pictures on the card until you have made a backup on CD/DVD or external hard disk, wait for the backup before deleting or formatting the card.
In the organizer there are advanced options to let you choose different main folders for a given camera or a given person. There are ways to rename the files by date + order + Camera type. Should you lose your catalogs or change organizing software, the files would still be organized by the folder and file name structure in the explorer.
Once imported, take the time to delete bad pictures and tag the new ones.
And most of all, have a strategy for backing up!
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
5 posts Page 1 of 1