Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I am in a panic...I now how a new Mac (past PC user) I how Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac. I am upset over the fact the the Organize Window is not in Mac verison. Replace with Adobe Bridge.

I need to know how to save the original photo after editing in Elements 6. Can someone please explain if I can indeed save the original and how to do it?

Thanks for your help.

Terry
Terry, most of us usually work on a copy of the orginal and leave the orginal along. I am not sure how a Mac works but when you first open up your picture make a duplicate copy, then close the orginal. When finished editing you can either use the save as command or just close it and it should ask you if you want to save it. It should save as "img 1234 copy". Another way is to save as a psd in case you want to go back and make changes.

Mac users jump in here if I am giving her wrong advice
Thank again Susan.....I am sure I'll be back with more questions. This is completely different than the PC but I am determine to stick with the Mac.

Terry
Glad to see you back...ask all the questions you need to. We are here to help each other.
Terry, Neither organizer nor Bridge store your photos- they are file browsers that just find pics stored in pictures. iPhoto actually is a storage library. I only use Bridge to browse my memory cards and and external drives. Adobe tends to not tell people on macs how to use iphoto(probably want you to use Bridge). Create a file on your desk top (mine is labeled iphoto). When done editing use the save as feature to save the file to that folder. When you have enough to bother with, start up iphoto and go to file>import, navigate to that folder and edit>select all to import to iphoto. To get a pic to open in PSE from iphoto you can either select them and drag to the PSE icon on the dock or under iphoto preferences set to open in PSE with a double click. iPhoto library can be moved to an external drive to save space-directions are in iphoto help. I like iphoto's keywords(tags) as well as smart albums and folders. Also in conjunction with iDVD and imovie makes great slide shows(I think better than PSE). Burns dvd/cds as well.
Alot of us Mac users use iPhoto for the organization, key wording, search etc. We then use Elements for the image work. It takes a little while to get the hang of it but don't panic. Also it allows you to do quick edits in iPhoto if you don't need the power of Elements. It will also allow you to use iDVD to burn slide shows and special events. I think it is the better of both worlds and I still am dedicated to PSE.

I am currently working on three weddings that I am building slide shows to burn into iDVD with chapters. Elements and the OnOne Essentials plug-ins are critical to the process.

I will gladly help when I can with your questions. I will be traveling for 4-6 weeks so I will check-in when I hit wi-fi hotspots. I will be taking my Mac Powerbook and organizing photos while on the road.

So there are a few ideas to get you juices flowing.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
Thanks Ron and Linda, I really appreciate your advice. I realize I have a lot to learn. It is completely different than what I am use to.

Thanks again....after the week-end I've be back to learn more.

Terry
Hi Terry,
I am also new to Mac and PSE6; I bought mine in May. After down loading new photos from my camera, the first thing I do is burn them to a CD. That way I always have the originals no matter what future errors I make on the computer. I then work on a copy of my image in PSE6 and always save it as a PSD file, which keeps my original image intact on the computer. From there I can save for the web or save as a JPG file, but I am always sure to use a different file name than the original file from the camera. It looks like I also have a lot to learn about iPhoto. So far I have been using Bridge and I like it much better than Organizer on my PC with PSE4.
Joe
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Hi Joe,

Thank you for replying....Can you explain a little about Bridge? I miss organizer on my PC PSE6....I don't know what to do with Bridge. When I bought the iMac I also ordered Aperture 2. It appears to be OK...but trying to learn the imac and everything else I really haven't had time to really do anything but crop a photo!

Thanks again. Terry
Hi Terry,
I also am a new Mac user since February. I also still use my PC. I have been using iPhoto to organize all my camera photos. I then have different folders in my finder called Janice {with the house} don't know what you call it, which are organized with scrapping elements and so on. I then use Bridge (which is basically a souped up file browser) when I am in elements or CS3 to browse my files.
Congrats on your new Mac-I have really been enjoying it.
Jancy
----------------
Jancy's Gallery
10 posts Page 1 of 1