Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Can someone please help me? I am new to PSE6 and trying to make a template (image grid) then insert a photo into the template. I'm trying to create a 8 1/2" X 11" template filled with 1" diameter circles. Then I want to insert a photo into these circles and print. In the end I would have a 8 1/2" X 11"sheet of paper full of 1"circle photos. It would look like a sheet of stamps or badges. The more circle photos I can get on one sheet of paper the better. Then I would use this same template over and over again for different photos. Thank you so much for your time and knowledge! I appreciate it very much! Sandy
Hi Sandy,

Welcome to our corner of the world. There are a number of ways to do what you want. This is the easiest I can think of but somebody else may be along with a simpler idea. That's the nice thing about Elements, there are so many different ways to get to the same place.

Start off with a blank file: File > New > Blank File
Make your size 11 inches wide and 8.5 inches high; make the resolution whatever resolution you are going to use for the images dropped into your template. I used 300 and made my background color white.

Now, go into Edit > Preferences > Grid
Set it for a gridline every 1 inch with 2 subdivisions (that's going to produce a line every 1/2 inch; if you want something else, use other numbers)

Now, on your top toolbar, click View > Grid
that turns the grid on.

Now, select the Custom Shape Tool and use the menu to find "Shapes". A circle is one of the choices.

Circle_Template.jpg
Circle_Template.jpg (171.35 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

The grid is going to help you draw the circle to size. Hold down the shift-key when drawing and the circle will be perfectly round.

I have just drawn one circle in this example, you should get the idea. When you are ready to add your photos, take the Magic Wand Tool and, with contiguous checked, click one of the circles. That circle should be selected. Now select your image, Edit > Copy and, over to the template file (with the selected circle still blinking) Edit > Paste into selection

If you don't understand something, keep asking Qs. Lots of helpful folks here will be glad to assist

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Welcome.....I'll try to help you. Open a new document in Elements 8-1/2 X 11 at 300 pixels. Choose the Ellipse tool (Custom Shape Tool - just below gradient tool - right click and choose Ellipse). Set the geometry options to fixed size 1 inch by 1 inch. Next, choose View, click Grid and Snap To/Grid. Then, start placing your circles where you want them. Once you have one row done, highlight the layers (I did six shapes) and distribute them equally along the row using the move tool and the "Distribute/Horizontal Centers). When you're happy with the placement of the row, choose all the shape layers and merge them. Then, you can simply alt/shift the layer to copy/move it down the page. Keep doing that until your page is full. and then align/distribute the rows equally. Here's a quick one I did (don't know why it's showing up black...click on it and it'll show the grid.
Image.
There are other ways to do this, but this was quick and easy. If you want to use it, just click on the thumbnail and it will take you to Pixentral. Then, you can right click and save the image to your desktop.

Oh, I see Rusty got in ahead of me.........that's ok - his directions are probably a whole lot better than mine. Still, you can use the one I did if you want to. The circles have a slight drop shadow applied.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you here often
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and your quick reply! I will try your advice and let you know how I do. Thanks again! Sandy
Hi Sandy, and welcome to the forum.

Anita
Sandy, If you would like to try out some templates created by some of the forum members go to the Digital Scrapbooking section & find all the Tuesday Template Tags. We are up to #12 now so look back on the threads for all of them to download. You might have fun doing one & posting your result. They are fun to do. A member creates one, posts it on Tuesdays & then tags someone else for the next weeks submission. So don't forget to check on Tuesday's for the new submissions. They might give you some ideas on how to create your own.
Christell
Christell's Creations

PhotoSHOP, PhotoSHOP till' you drop...

A photograph is a moment frozen in time...

PSE7 & PSE8.....Nikon D60, D200 & D300
Hello Sandy and welcome.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
8 posts Page 1 of 1