Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello!

I am new to Elements and have been playing around with the collage capabilities. I would like to create a collage using a photo as a background and I cannot seen to figure out how to do this. I would appreciate any suggestions or help that is offered!

Thanks, Michele
All you have to do after you have your image up as your background, is to drag the other pictures onto the background and using the transform tool resize them to the size you want. Then if you want you can put a stroke around the pictures to make frames. What version of elements are you using??? Would you like a screenshot of this???

WElcome to the forum, we are a friendly and very helpful place. Please feel free to ask any and all questions.
Hi, Michele, and welcome. If you want your background picture muted, bring it in over a white/cream layer. Reduce opacity of the picture layer until you get the look you want. I did a quick layout to illustrate what I'm talking about........keep in mind that I'm NOT a collage maker and have probably not done a proper collage. :bigwink:
Open image to see larger version.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thank you both for your help! I am using Elements 5.0 (which I am new to also). I love to take photo's and have been playing around with collage options. Please forgive me in advance - as I said I am new to the forum as well as Elements!

So based on your responses I tried to do what was suggested. First I clicked File>New>chose size 11x14 and it gave me a blank white layer>how do I add additional layer per your comment (If you want your background picture muted, bring it in over a white/cream layer. Reduce opacity if the picture layer until you get the look you want.) Or am I headed in the wrong direction?

Michele
Thanks for your help!

Yes if you could give me a screen shot or two - that would help me a lot and I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks, Michele

suzib wrote: All you have to do after you have your image up as your background, is to drag the other pictures onto the background and using the transform tool resize them to the size you want. Then if you want you can put a stroke around the pictures to make frames. What version of elements are you using??? Would you like a screenshot of this???

WElcome to the forum, we are a friendly and very helpful place. Please feel free to ask any and all questions.
mmscott wrote: First I clicked File>New>chose size 11x14 and it gave me a blank white layer>how do I add additional layer per your comment (If you want your background picture muted, bring it in over a white/cream layer. Reduce opacity if the picture layer until you get the look you want.)
Michele

You're headed in the right direction. Open the picture you want to be your background and drag it to your white background. It will automatically be placed on a layer above the background. Then, you can reduce opacity. If you want the background to be something other than white, use your paint bucket tool to fill the background layer with a color of your choosing.

Hope this helps. Sunny
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
You are wonderful! I was trying to add the photo to the layer bar instead of dragging it on the canvas - uh! I'll get the hang of it. I appreciate your help!...btw - I visited your profile and saw all of the great photo's and projects you have done - terrific work!

Thanks again! Michele

sarch99 wrote:
mmscott wrote: First I clicked File>New>chose size 11x14 and it gave me a blank white layer>how do I add additional layer per your comment (If you want your background picture muted, bring it in over a white/cream layer. Reduce opacity if the picture layer until you get the look you want.)
Michele

You're headed in the right direction. Open the picture you want to be your background and drag it to your white background. It will automatically be placed on a layer above the background. Then, you can reduce opacity. If you want the background to be something other than white, use your paint bucket tool to fill the background layer with a color of your choosing.

Hope this helps. Sunny
Here are a couple of screenshots. Click on the image to enlarge. Instructions are on one of them. If you need more help give a holler.

You are going to have to forgive all the spelling errors, I was in a hurry. You can download these images if you need to. Give a holler is you need more help
forgot to add this to the instructions...if you want to put a border around all the pictures you have to repeat the steps for each picture.
Thank you, Michele. Post your finished collage, OK? We'd love to see it.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
18 posts Page 1 of 2