Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
23 posts Page 1 of 3
I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 and can not for the life of me figure out how to make a border for my photographs. Any help would be great. Thanks
There are a bunch of different ways to do this but I will go into two of them.
First one using the rectanglar (sp) marquee tool draw around the image where you want the border, then go to select>inverse
next edit> fill selection, pick a color you want the border to be
On this one I would first do a Layer via copy of the selection (after you do the inverse) and that way you can play with the colors, styles etc

another way is to add a stroke around the picture
edit>stroke....just pick a size and color
again you can do this on its own layer by doing this (best way to go)
duplicate layer
add blank layer above this one
Ctrl click on the duplicate layer (marching ants)
now highlight the blank layer and do the edit stroke ...make sure the inside box is checked
Oops, welcome to the forum. If you need screenshots of this give a holler.
Suzi could you please do the screen prints, I think it would really help me. Thanks- Jacque :thumbsup:
Suzi, I brought up a picture and went to edit and the stroke option is grayed out so I cannot select it. Did i miss a step?

Thanks-
Jacque
You can't do it on the backgound layer so make a duplicate layer...layer>duplicate. Then it should it work. I did these in a hurry so if you need an explaination give a holler

second border method...click on picture to enlarge it..you can also download it

First border method

Did you get the border to work for you, Jacque
Welcome to the forum upsidedowngirl. Suzi's got you in the right direction.
Hi Suzi,
Thanks, yes I did get t to work using the method of using rec marq tool and drawing around the image. The only problem is, I tend to shoot pictures up close and therefore not allowing for alot of room inside the picture to draw a border. I wonder if there is a way to add it without loosing some of the picture?

Thanks in advance,
Jacque
Jacque,
To add a border outside your photo, use the resize menu and choose 'canvas size'. The idea is to change the canvas size by increasing the canvas dimension of the amount of the margins, same increase in length and witdth. You can choose the colour of the added margins. I'll have more time later to post a screen shot.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
23 posts Page 1 of 3