Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I want to remove an arm from the background of my photo. How can I do that? Do I use the clone stamp tool? If so I am not sure how to use it... thanks in advance.
Angela, in a lot of cases i would use the clone tool. Depends on the background.
Angela, can you post the picture,please. That way we can see what needs to be done and how.
Several ways, Angela,

Clone stamp usually comes to mind first. Depending on how the arm is "placed", and the nature of the background surrounding it, I often have better results pasting a "patch" over the top of what is to be replaced.

Take your marquee tool and draw a rectangle in the background as close to your arm as you can; you want the size of the rectangle bigger than the arm. With the ants marching Ctrl-J copies that rectangle onto a blank layer. Now use the move tool to slide the patch over on top of what you want to cover.

Use the clone stamp to blend the edges of the patch if needed. Use the eraser to remove any unwanted parts of the patch.

Give it a try, it's easy to do.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks. OK here are 3 pix. The first is the one I need ideas on the background. The second I removed the arm. I figured out to hold the alt key before cloning. :biggrin: The third is just to show you the lineup. I hope to put them all in 5x7 slots of a precut mat. (I have done nothing to them except crop and remove the arm, ideas on color adjust etc are welcomed)
Angela, following up on what Rusty suggested, after you get your marching ants, you might want to go to Select, Feather, and choose 3 or 4 pixels. Then, select your move tool, hold down your alt key and move a copy of your selection over the offending item. If you want to make a perfectly horizontal or vertical move, use alt + shift.

Oops......I see you've already gotten your arm cloned out. As to the background, you could just select your little cutie, feather, invert your selection, and apply more of a blur to the background. You might also want to try to get the grass color a little lighter in your bottom photo.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
OK, I am selecting, not very well...but getting there. feathering, I tried 20 pixels I think it made a halo around her. How many pixels would you suggest feathering. Next question, what type of blur? I tried them all and I think gaussian but then I think I tried them altogether :biggrin: oops. Thank goodness for the undo feature. Thanks. She is a cutie, I have to do her justice.
I don't know about the feather, Angela. I downloaded the low res picture you posted and tried......I got the halo without any feather, with a sight feather, and with a large feather. Someone else is going to have to jump in here to help with that. I'm sorry.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
8 posts Page 1 of 1