Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I need a little bit of help with border layers. I have been playing with some layers I bought online. They are overlay borders like the ones in these pictures
http://www.cutestkidsclothes.com/Elliefairy2.jpg

http://www.cutestkidsclothes.com/aprilmichael1.jpg
They are black, but I would like to change the colors of them. I have tried to "fill" the layer but that just fills the whole thing, not just the border. I have tried to play with the magic selection wand and then fill but I can't get that to work either. It seems like something I *should* be able to do, but I just don't know how! Can anyone help? I'm using elements 7. Thanks!!
Michelle
Michelle ~ Mom to six wonderful photo subjects!
I suppose you have got a layer with your border in black.
You can change the color of this layer by using enhance/Adjust color/hue saturation. Then check the 'colorize' checkbox. You can change the colour by moving the 3 sliders.
Does this help you?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Here is an alternate way to accomplish the same thing. I am using PSE5 but suppose it would work the same way in later versions.

If your frame is a solid black and white layer, click on the white with your Magic Wand and delete - get rid of the white so that you are left with only the black. Copy that layer (Ctrl-J). Drop down to the lower layer, Ctrl-click will select all the black and Fill Selection with whatever color you want. Change the blend mode of the top layer to Multiply.

colored frame.jpg
colored frame.jpg (138.63 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

Voila

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Realize this is an old post, but I have done this. You can use the fill bucket, but you have to make sure you have that 'drop of paint' right on the black swirl. Sometimes enlarging the image makes this easier.

What I like better is to use the layer styles. There are a lot of free styles around and this can add color, patterns, depth etc. They may also be adjusted for depth of bevel and shadow.

So much to play with. Have fun with it.
4 posts Page 1 of 1