Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I am about to pull my hair out! I've used Photoshop a couple years ago but now I'm working with Photoshop Elements 6 and just can not get it. All I need to do is add a water mark to a photo that I created. I've followed tutorials and for some reason I can't get my text to emboss or bevel or have any sort of style what-so-ever.
I have my photo and I created my text as a new layer but I can't find a bevel option ANYWHERE like I read in every tutorial. Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Hello and welcome to the forum. Give this a try. Duplicate you text layer. Turn off the eye on your original text layer. Make the copy active and simplifiy the layer. This will change the layer so it is a text layer. Now you should be able to easily apply the emboss and bevel syles to the text to get the effect you want. Hope this helps you, been awhile since I have used Elements.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim that is good advice but she can't find where the option is to add the bevel. I don't have PSE6 so I can't advise either. Hang on... someone should come along that can help.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I'm at work but will check and get back with you. Hopefully, someone else will hop on here first to give you the info.

OK - I got onto my home computer and checked. First, go to Window and make sure "Effects" is checked. Once you get the Effects pallet showing, click on the second icon from the left (the one that looks like one piece of paper laid over another). If you hover over that icon, you'll see it's called Layer Styles. You'll then be able to find Bevels, Complex, Drop Shadows, Glass Buttons and Show All in the drop down to the right. Hoep this helps.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
I guess I misread it. I understood it to say they couldn't find the styles to emboss or bevel text. I seem to remember that not being a standard style with the Elements program for text and only for regular layers. Therefore the suggestion to simplify the layer so it isn't a text layer.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Sunny, gave you the help you need but wanted to say welcome to the forum. Hope to see you here often, we are a very friendly and helpful group of people.
Maybe I don't understand the question, but I have never had a problem applying styles to text layers and do it all the time. I have never had to simplify the text layer to apply a bevel or shadow. I am using PSE5.

Watermark.jpg
Watermark.jpg (169.96 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

1 - type your text; if necessary use move to resize or reposition

2- click layer style icon (3d one over in PSE5) if it is not already selected

3 - select bevels from the drop-down menu, pick the one you want and apply

4- if you are after a transparent watermark, use white as the color when you type your text and, as the last step, change the blend mode of the text layer to multiply and it should look like my example.

And, oh yes, welcome to the forum.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty - it's set up a little differently in Elements 6 - not as intuitive as Elements 5.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
All of these generous replies, I hope they come back and let us know if they worked it out?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi,
Here's where to find embossing in PSE6:
Rusty's instructions are right on the button.

Welcome to the forum,
Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
10 posts Page 1 of 1