Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 2 of 2
Rusty I did not know that little trick. thank you I hope that saves me grief down the road.
Rusty wrote: Not to beat it to death ... but
use different names when you save. We have all outsmarted ourselves when the flattened file gets saved on top of the PSD as a flat file.

What happens is, you save the PSD-file; it is in layers. Then you flatten the file and intend to save it as a Jpeg-file. You click "save" rather than "save as" and now you have a flat PSD-file with no layers. The only way to avoid this is to remember to always click "save as" or the alternative is, after you have saved the PSD-file, then click File > Duplicate; that prompts you to give it a new (different) name. That is the file you flatten. Then when you save it it doesn't matter whether you save as Jpeg or PSD, your layered file is not disturbed.

Rusty

I fully agree with Rusty, you should use duplicate more often, and it has a very convenient checkbox to flatten the layers in the duplicate. Other uses of this feature: you want to keep the result of only the visible layers to make a mask, extract a channel etc. Duplicate flattened. You want to keep the layer structure of the visible layers: duplicate unflattened and discard invisible layers; that may keep your layer palette smaller and cleaner while enabling you to go back and re-edit at will. If you want to save as jpeg, take the habit of duplicating (with flatten checkbox) as recommended by Rusty.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
12 posts Page 2 of 2