Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
I went to a fireworks display last night and tried to get a few shots. I ended up with a lot of shots of dark sky but a few of the photos turned out.

I'm working in PSE5. Is it possible to add the fireworks from a couple of shots into the same image? If so, what is the best way to do it?

Also, do the bits I paste in have to be the same resolution as the background shot? Can I zoom part of the image in and then put it into the background so it looks larger?

I'm really enjoying reading the forum and I've learned a lot.

Michelle
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Welcome, Michelle :cheer2:
Yes, it is an excellent idea to combine multiple shots of fireworks in a single image.
I have not done it up to now, but I think it would be an excellent training to use layers. The idea is to open the different sources files at the same time and place them as new layers over your background, which may be one of your fireworks shots. Maybe there is a video or tutorial about this, other members will probably help.
Once you have chosen your background, you must adjust each component (layer) in size, color and contrast, taking care of keeping a dark background sky to help merging the layers. You should crop roughly any unwanted parts of your additional layers.
The key is to use the additional layers in lighten or screen mode, so that only the brighter parts show over the background. The darker parts will be ignored, which will make the blending easier.
If you (or beginner members) want more help about any of those steps, please ask!
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you more often. Since you have been browsing and learning, don't be afraid to ask questions more often. There is a great bunch of people here willing to help as you can see by Michel's post.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Don't miss the most important point Michel made - Screen Blend Mode!

One of my photography magazines had a short article last June for those looking forward to 4th-July. Use something like the Lasso Tool to roughly select around a "starburst" and Ctrl-J to put that on a layer which can then be dragged onto the image you are creating.

Their screen shots illustrated files with multiple layers stacked up. You don't have to select anything! As soon as you change the blend mode of those added layers to Screen or Lighten, everything disappears except for the "explosion".

Here's one I did last summer. It may be hard to see, each of those "black blob layers" are cut outs from individual firework explosion images. When I changed the blend mode to Screen the black disappeared. I have 15 layers in this image.

Fireworks-Screen Mode.jpg
Fireworks-Screen Mode.jpg (197.58 KiB) Viewed 1920 times

I was thrilled at how super easy it was to stack up multiple images.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Hello Michelle and welcome to the forum! :wave:
Thanks for the help and the welcome. I had a go at this and, for my first practice with layers, I was quite happy with it.

fireworks1 web.jpg
fireworks1 web.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 1788 times

fireworks2 web.jpg
fireworks2 web.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

Michelle
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Michelle, neat pictures. A warm welcome to you.
To add a link to one specific picture in your gallery go to that picture then highlight the address in the address bar(the http://www.something something) , right click left click on the word copy. then go to where you want to put the link and right click then left click the word paste.
Welcome, Michelle. It's nice that you checked back in to show us your results. I'm glad you got it to work. I look forward to seeing more of your photos. :)

Courtney
Welcome to the forum, Michelle. You will enjoy it here. Everyone is so helpful. :wave:
Michelle to put a picture in the thread. Save for web i make the longest side 500 pixels.
Then under your post box you will see a box that says upload attachment, click this then click browse find the picture you want to upload. Click add the file. Then where upload attachment tab was you will see it says place inline click on this. that should do it.
12 posts Page 1 of 2