Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, does anyone know which thread contains Kimi_boos'tut on keeping new brushes in a new file is ??.I'v been looking for ages,and am getting seriously side tracked by all the other tuts.I had some great butterfly brushes,saved them,and used them,I whent to use them a few days later only to find the fairies had taken them!!!!!. :twisted:
They had been put with the rest of my elements brushes, not sure why they ar'nt there now ,any help greatfull
min.
Hi Karen, I searched the forum and didn't find it but one post did say her instructions are on her blog.

http://kimikreations.blogspot.com/

Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page to the bold topic Brushes, Brushes, Everyone loves brushes.

Actually, here is the text of it. But do check out Kimi's blog. Loads of awesome information.

Now if you are a brushaholic like I am. You will want to make a separate brush folder for all of these new toys. This has quite a few advantages... you will have your brushes in a separate folder if you ever upgrade your software and you won't bog down you current software.

Go into Documents and create a New Folder and name it Downloaded Photoshop Brushes.
Save you new brushes there. The next time you open your brushes in Photoshop, choose load. Navigate to the new folder you created in Documents. Photoshop or Elements will remember that path and go there from now on.
Happy Brushing!

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I'm lost. Where do I find "Load" to load my own folder of brushes? I'm using PSE6.

Thanks,

Courtney
Courtney - open PSE6 click on brushes, then the drop down menu top left, then the arrows pointing to the right then scroll down to 'load' it will let you go out of PSE6 to a folder you direct. I wish I knew screen shots, let me know if that was not clear enough
Ooohhh, I didn't notice the little right arrow button. Not very big, is it? So, I found Load Brushes. Thanks!

It looks like I have to load each new brush individually? Because it won't let me select more than one at a time to load, and it doesn't seem to do anything when I only have the folder itself selected. Is this right, I have to load each new brush?

Thanks again!

Courtney
Yes that is correct Courtney. If the brush is in a folder open the folder and double click on the brush icon to load it. And this could get confusing as I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to storing your brushes outside PSE6 and loading the one you want to work on for your particular processing at the time. This is different than installing them in the program. The advantage to storing the brushes outside the program is that it keeps the program running fast and doesn't bog it down. It is a pain to load every brush, especially if you are not sure which one you want.... And I will admit that is about where my knowledge and experiences stop, so if anyone reading has other input for Courtney feel free to chime in. Did I see a thread recently for a brush viewer??? Might have to take a look at that.
Thank you, Angela. Yes, we are talking about the same thing. I made a new folder outside PSE for my downloaded brushes. I thought that loading them once meant they would be loaded every time thereafter when PSE was opened. I see that isn't the case, and your last reply explained that this keeps load time faster. That makes sense. I also saw a post somewhere by suzi mentioning something about that too, but I didn't understand it then. I've been searching the forum for "brushes" posts and yes, there are some posts about a brushes viewer.

It looks like I can only load one .abr file from my separate brushes folder at a time? They replace each other in the brushes dropdown list. This seems rather limiting. I thought I could load in 3 or 4 .abr files and then choose between them. I guess not.

Thank you again for helping me through this!

Courtney
Courtney you are welcome. It is limiting, but what I found that I do when I am looking for a brush (and I haven't had my stash of brushes for long enough to memorize what I have!!) is this. I open a new blank white background document and minimize the image I am working on. Then I start opening and stamping brushes to see which one I want. (on the white document) It takes less time than you realize and when you find the shape you like you can open your image back up and start applying it. One more thought. I did install a set of grunge brushes into the program, because I found that I used them on many things. One brush installed isn't likely to slow processing.

Did you find obsidian dawn yet? She has fabulous brushes- free downloads
There's a very well-thought-out explanation of making and saving brushes here.....
http://www.easyelements.com/making-photoshop-brushes.html
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Geoff,thanks hun.It's an excellant site,so many great brushes as well.I feel like a kiddy in a sweet shop,I'm going to need a bigger computer!!!!.lol. I'v even found lightning brushes,but it will be cool to make my own,still working on that one. :thanks:
kind regards,
MIN.
16 posts Page 1 of 2