Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I can't find it. I've been doing my sepia conversions in another program, but I want to learn to do them here. My customer wants selective color :| w/ sepia. I can do it w/ b/w, but can't get a nice sepia tone. Any suggestions?
Here is one I like.
duplicate image
new blank layer, fill with color (896d21) blend mode color, play with opacity to get where I like it
for selective color add a layer mask and paint with black to bring the color back you want

I am sure others will be along with more suggestions and ways to achieve this
I have done it with a Photo Filter Adjustment Layer cranking the sepia effect up to about 80% (will really depend on your image). But, I seem to get a better effect using a color layer as described by Suzi with a Color Blend Mode. The biggest trick to that is selecting the color to fill with.

Whichever method to use, the final step is usually to stamp visible (Shift-Ctrl-Alt-E), turn off visibility of any layers between that top sepia layer and your color background layer, and then use a mask to reveal where you want color.

You can, of course, simply use the eraser on the sepia layer. But, that's destructive; if you make a mistake you can't recover as easy as you can with a mask.

Sepia-Color.jpg
Sepia-Color.jpg (173 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

(I am using one of Graffi's masks on this)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I think there is a sepia selection in the photo effect filters in PSE.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
PET has 2 tutorials for selective sepia (bringing back one color only...) and Jessica Sprague has a nifty tut for sepia using a gradiant adjustment layer. Interested in either of those? Let me know if you want links.
Here's a link to an article that describes 7 different ways to create a sepia image.

http://digital-photography-school.com/discover-seven-ways-to-create-sepia-images-in-photoshop
Barbara

My Gallery
Thanks Barbara, will check it out
7 posts Page 1 of 1