Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
24 posts Page 1 of 3
Yeah, I upgraded. Not sure why, I guess it seemed a good idea at the time. :bigwink:

When I bought PSE3 my first thought was, "Why in the world did I do this?" Then, two years later, I wondered the same about PSE5. I'm an odd-number guy, I skip the evens and have now moved to PSE7. This thread will, no doubt, be a series of very dumb questions.

Right off the bat I have to deal with a very annoying Welcome Screen. OK, Adobe always does that; how do I turn it off? "Help" makes it look pretty easy to do so.
Welcom-1.jpg
Welcom-1.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

NOT. Where the heck is the "start up menu"? I don't see anything in the lower left corner of my opening screen.
Welcome.jpg
Welcome.jpg (110.06 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Help

Rusty

PS - I promise to withhold my gripes 'till I've used it for at least a week.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
OK, Rusty, now you have me thinking. I have PSE7 on my Dell PC. I never saw that little menu either, but it has to be there somewhere. I am away from my PC right now but I will do some searching later. Don't you just love these scavenger hunts?
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Rusty and Joe,
the only one to avoid the annoying screen seems to be to create a short cut on your desk top.
Go Program Files/ Adobe/Photoshop Elements 7 Then find the .exe file for the Editor. It's the second one of the Blue icons with Photoshop on it. Right click, choose send to and then create short cut.
Now you can open Elements in the Edit mode. No more nag screen.
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
Yep, I did what Kev suggested otherwise I would have gone nuts by now.
IN PSE6 (so perhaps in PSE7 too) you could open your Editor and go to Window > Welcome. The "Welcome Screen" comes up..... and from there you can make your changes (btm left corner).... You can choose to "Start Up with Editor", "Start Up with Organizer" or "Start Up with Welcome Screen".
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I looked this up online and the sites I saw said that in PSE 7 they no longer give you this option. :evil:
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Hmmmmmm, Geoff,
didn't seem to work for me -- I got the same darned welcome screen as before without the edit option in lower left corner.

I did accomplish one thing however. I absolutely despise the dark gray screen; I simply can't easily identify the icons. Discovered that Edit>Preferences>General gets me to a screen with options to change: see the slider down at the bottom. I have cranked it up all the way to 100% brightness.
PSE7 Appearance.jpg
PSE7 Appearance.jpg (136.92 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

Now it appears similar to PSE5; wish I could get it like PSE3. I know some people like the dark screen, it just doesn't work for me.

Rusty

PS - I'm off to try the shortcut trick.

Aha!, Kev, Tennie :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Worked perfectly - just as Kev described.

Rusty

Rusty,
only too pleased to have helped, that Welcome screen used to drive me crazy,
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
Thanks for the tip,Kev.
Chas