Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
24 posts Page 2 of 3
Chas,
you're welcome.
The tip came from Barbara Brundage's book - The Missing Manual Photoshop Elements 7,
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
I have that book,Kev. But I've never read it cover to cover.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Chas,
I haven't read it all, I use it as a reference book.
I find it handy for some things in 7,
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
I told you this thread would probably become a series of dumb Qs
I bought Barbara's book for PSE5; probably should do so for 7

Not sure if this is a PSE Q or an ACR Q but here goes. When I had PSE5 and opened a RAW image I got ACR ver. 4.3. After I installed PSE7 and then opened my first RAW image ACR had become ver. 4.5. Now, I have not done anything at all to "upgrade" ACR so the new version obviously "came with" the PSE7 install.

Look at this. Whenever I opened image(s) as RAW, the ACR screen perfectly filled the space on my monitor. Now, with PSE7, this new version of ACR doesn't quite fit. Look down at the bottom and see how part is cut off. Well, I know what's supposed to be where so as long as I can click on a part of the button it works.
ACR Compare.jpg
ACR Compare.jpg (196.01 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

(the ACR screen doesn't give you those little icons in upper right corner as are common with most Windows panes so I don't have an easy way to manually resize the window) any ideas?

My first Q isn't that big a deal -- not the end of the world if I can't fix it. This second Q is a real big deal to me.

I shoot everything in RAW. My practice has been to open 5 images at a time from PSE Edit. The first image opens in ACR, I finish my adjustments and click "Open Image". The image opens in PSE Edit and then the screen jumps back to ACR where the second image opens; this repeats thru the 2d, 3d, 4th and 5th images. After the last one (5th) I am sitting in PSE Edit with all five thumbnails sitting in the Photo Bin.

Soooooo, here I go today. Opened 5 images, did my ACR processing for the first one, clicked "open image", it moved into PSE Edit -- and that was it, nothing else, Nada. The other four images were gone, not deleted, just gone from ACR. The only way I could function was open one image at a time in ACR - work it, send it to PSE. One at at a time.

The big new deal I see in ACR 4.5 is the row of thumbnails down the left side of the screen. That tells me that I have indeed opened more than one image. But the first time I send any one of them to PSE, ACR closes and they all are gone.

Am I doing something dumb?

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
You're probably working quite happily with ACR 4.5 but actually it has moved on to version 5.3 now. Your camera is obviously catered for already, but it's worth keeping up to date - especially as it's free!
Check it out here....
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4365
there may be some improvements for you. And have a read about "Camera Profiles" while you're there.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Rusty,

Probably worth snagging the latest version of ACR anyway, but a fre specific responses:

To see the full screen of ACR, click on the doble sided arrow to the right of the Preview option of ACR - that will give you a full screen access of ACR.

Adobe seems to have opened up ACR for elements and given you part of the functionality that was previously available only in CS2/CS3. To activate another image in ACR, click on its thumbnail and adjust away (or use the left and right arrows just above and to the left of the Done button), to open all click on the Select All button at the top of the thumbnail stack ot click, then Ctrl+click the ones you want - you should see the Open Image change to Open Images - click and the selected images will open in the Editor
John
Many thanks to you both.

I have now downloaded the ACR 5.3 and will install after I logout from here
Will try John's suggestions after I have it up and running -- think I understand what you are telling me. Will be back with more Qs if I don't understand as well as I think I do :D

Geoff - what specifically are you pointing me to? I did a search on "camera profile" and got 20+ pages of references.

Thanks again for your help.

Rusty

HA, everything worked just fine.

And, John, I am Smarter Than a 5th Grader. I did understand and follow your instructions. The ability to process multiple images w/out opening and closing ACR is a big deal to me because so much of what I do will be a series of images with the exact same exposure characteristics (especially the church work I do). It is so easy to spend some time in ACR to get the first one how I want it and then the others just zip right along with "use previous conversion".

Stay tuned ... more Qs are sure to come as i get more into PSE7

Rusty

Part of the download of recent versions of ACR comes a file called "Camera Profiles". The main information is here..... http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles.

It matches a camera's raw output to ACR to get the best rendition that the camera has. Quite honestly I don't know how it works but you should see your camera profile listed on the third tab in ACR (the one with the camera icon). You don't have to select that one, but I find it gives a more accurate representation of lighting conditions for the moment the picture was taken. The "Camera Profiles" file is an exe - just double click it to let it install itself. As I say, I don't really know how it works unless it looks up the exif info of a shot and puts that camera profile into the dropdown box. If that's right, you could have one for your current camera and then it should pull another one out of its library of profiles if you downloaded from another camera.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
OK, Geoff, thanks
Yes, I did get that file and running the exe-file was one of the early steps in installing the new ver. of ACR. I will try the cited tab within ACR to see how that might make a difference.

Rusty

24 posts Page 2 of 3