Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
22 posts Page 2 of 3
Metering means measuring the light. Many cameras give you a choice of matrix metering (the camera measures all the light in the frame and does a sort of average), center weighted metering (the camera uses the light in the middle of the frame when deciding how to expose the photo) or spot metering (the camera pays attention only to the light on the thing in the spot (an indicator on your viewfinder lcd). I actually use spot metering a lot when I'm shooting people. I put the spot on their face and it will be exposed properly. The background may be completely blown out, but what I care about is my subject's face.

Anyway, it sounds like wind was the culprit in your case. Although... if your background was more flowers or leaves, they would be moving too and also out of focus... ?

Courtney
thanks Courtney for the great information.
Judy, I take a lot of macro photos of flowers. I agree with the other posters about movement. If the subject (flower) or the camera moves at all it will result in a blurred photo. A tri-pod is an absolute necessity. I also use a remote shutter release in order to avoid camera movement. Another very important item is depth of field. If you are unfamiliar with this subject I suggest you find a good book.The book that I refer to quite frequently is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. As stated previously, try to avoid windy days. From your description it sounds like your focus point is outside the subject and/or your depth of field is too shallow. Good luck in your macro photography.........Bill
thank you bill with all the information i gathered here. And with the research you suggested i am sure my flowers will actually look like flowers soon! I do have a mini pod i may just try it out. Thanks much.
Hi Ladybug! I definitely agree with the responses you already have. Did want to add one thing though..

If you really want to get the most out of your camera and improve your photograhpy you should plan some time with the camera in one hand and the maual in the other. :bigwink: As you come across features you are interested in try them out right away with your manual as a guide. Also you can make a little cheat sheet for certain features and slip it into your camera bag.

The main things you need to know are how your metering system works, your focus sytems, how to quickly adjust your exposure compensation and what options you can determine for yourself in whichever ever mode you choose to shoot in. For example with mine in easy you can only change the flash setting, in auto you can change flash, WB, Metering, and ISO - program lets you change even more.. etc.

And if you can't find your manual look for it online. Most manuals are available in pdf form now.

Have fun!
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Michelle, thanks that is something else i will do. Up til now i have for the most part not changed anything. However am getting a little braver and am willing to venture some. i realize my kodak easy share is the guppie in the fish pond but i have enjoyed the simplicity. That is mainly why i bought it but with all this MACRO going on ... you my friends have pushed my curiosity button. Soon i will post what i have learned. :wave: :biggrin:
I always thought this was cheating, BUT there is this little claw you can get to hold the stem still while you shoot your photo. it is anchored into the ground and then you just gentlly clip it on the stem below where you are shooting. I have seen them at various photography gear sites.
Judy

I'm just starting to get into Macro shooting. I think as the others here that (WIND) has a lot to do with it.
The suggestions mentioned are a great help.Just have patience :pray:
It will all work out .

George :toast:
P.S. this is one piture that I took to-day :woohoo:

"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle."James Kelly
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19724 George's Gallery
George thanks for the encouragement. Fantastic shot. It was raining out and i just had to try a raindrop picture. Here is one that turned out.
Image.
I agree with the other posts regarding wind being the culprit. But, in a lot of macro shooting if you are going for a shallow DOF you're region of focus in macro is going to be very small, so it is important that not only does the subject not move, but neither does the camera, which is why a tripod is also a necessity.

Bryan Peterson was mentioned earlier. He also has a book called "Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters With or Without a Macro Lens" available.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
22 posts Page 2 of 3