Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
21 posts Page 2 of 3
And the other photos as apparantly 3 is the limit here.

Attachments

After looking at this photo again, decided to desaturate the reds a bit. I had done the 'color for skin tones' in the 1st try. Am I right in thinking the 2nd is better? Or is there not much difference?

Attachments

Tx for the pdf on finding neutral gray, better than guessing!
Hi Tennie! Great job! The two 'landscape' pics are just right. Nice contrast and color and you toned down the highlight in the sky of the second one. Perfect.

On the photo of the girl.. also just right. Nice contrast and color. I like you sharpening too. I tend to be conservative there... getting braver though.. lol

On the final (and most difficult image) while the color is improved, the contrast is too harsh and the sky looks blown out. It looks like you lightened the pic with increasing the highlights instead of the midtones. Try again paying particular attention to the sliders. Read over that part at the end again and play with the sliders more. You got improvement but you can do better. The is a tough photo but is doable.

Here is my final edit on this one to give you an idea of what you are going for. Notice the overal softness of the lighting effect and the background. I also did not do any sharpening. If I were to sharpen this it would be the eyes only for a softer feel.

Attachments

Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Yes, I see the woman is definitely better. I get so little practice on people...watch out people, I want to shoot you!
tennie wrote: Thanks, I'd like to join in........after the quick edit and organizer stuff is over. Tried the organizer in PSE 5 and never could find anything. I'm more organized on my own, besides I move stuff around and organizer hated me.

For those of you who like to move files around.. In the Organizer go to View > Arrangement > Folder Location

This will pull up a list of all files and folders in addition to what you normally see. Here you can move and rename files all you want and the Organizer will follow your pictures around and all will be well... :D
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Be careful moving stuff in the Organiser. If you move a folder and elements says 'Are you sure? Not all files are visible in ...' you've probably got files in the folder that haven't been sucked into the elements organiser. If you move the folder without sucking the files in (or if the files aren't all photos) the ones that aren't visible in the organiser get deleted. I managed to lose heaps of files before I worked this out.
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Thanks for the heads up Michelle! I dont generally move files. I saw that message come up but it certainly doesnt say it's going to delete anything! :doh:
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Michelle,

Thanks very much. I learned such a lot from following these exercises. I'd never really understood the levels adjustment before but now I'll be using it a lot. I also hadn't used the high pass filter sharpening method before but was impressed by the results.

These are the two landscape images. On the 2nd one I also did a levels adjustment to the blues to remove the color fringing in the tree.

Image 5767 fix.jpg
Image 5767 fix.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

Image 5777 fix web.jpg
Image 5777 fix web.jpg (198.35 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
And the two people images. I found the skintone adjustment very subjective - it was really hard to decide what was the right skin tone for the image - especially on the photo of your daughter.

Image 0466 fix web.jpg
Image 0466 fix web.jpg (209.67 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

Image 2982 fix web.jpg
Image 2982 fix web.jpg (121.9 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

I'm really looking forward to the next lesson. :thumbsup:
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
21 posts Page 2 of 3