Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
5 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm a real newbie here....

I am trying to organize and tag my photos and I have a few questions. I am using PSE 6 but I have Scott Kelby's book for PSE 5.

1. The book has a page about "finding photos fast by their month and year." It talks about moving a bar on the timeline. When you move that bar to a specific month, only the photos taken in that month will appear in the photo browser window. PSE 6 evidently doesn't have that timeline? If not, is there a way that you can still do that in PSE 6?

2. The book talks about "collections." Is that the same thing as "albums" in PSE 6?

3. What's the difference between a "keyword tag" and a "sub-category." Is it better to just use keyword tags?

4. When I transfer my photos to my computer, I transfer them into my Canon ZoomBrowser EX software. So....when I import them into the organizer, does it keep the original photo in both places? If so, doesn't that use up more space on my computer?

Sorry about all the "elementary" questions, but I guess I have to start somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Deb
Deb
PSE6/PE4/Windows XP/Firefox/Canon MP600/Canon PowerShot S3IS
Hi, Deb! Welcome! I will try to answer your questions as well as I can. (I have PSE5)

1. Look under Window>Timeline. Is it there? Click it!

2. As far as I know, albums are comparable to collections, only a bit better. I think setting them up is different than in PSE5, however.

3. You can compare keyword tags, categories and subcategories to the Windows file structure. You may have dog.jpg in the folder "Dog pictures" under "My Pictures". If you search for "My pictures" in Windows, it will bring up that folder and all of its subfolders and all of the files they contain, but exclude the rest of the folders on the hard drive. If you search for "Dog pictures", it will bring up that folder and all of the dog images will be in it. If you search for "Dog.jpg", it will only find those files named "Dog.jpg". Am I making myself clear?? :? :?:
Another difference in PSE5, subcategories do not have thumbnails on their tags.

4. The Organizer only keeps a low quality thumbnail of the images on your HD. It takes up space, but not nearly as much as the original images.

Keep those questions coming. There are no stupid questions here! :)
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Wow, Reka, looks like I'm not the only night owl here. Thanks for your answers! (And thanks for the welcome.)

1. I'll look for the timeline as you suggested.

3. I understand how you described the categories and sub-categories. But I guess my question is: You have the category "Events" and then you have pictures of your annual washer tournament. Would you really need to make "Washer Tournament" a sub-category or just use it as a keyword tag? I'm uncertain why you would ever need a sub-category.

4. So if you click on a picture in the organizer, are you working on the original that is stored on your hard drive - - or just a copy of it? If you forget to use "save as", are you going to ruin your original?

Thanks for inviting me to "keep those questions coming." I'm sure I will!!! :)
Deb
Hi, again, Deb! I am in Italy, so it is morning for me!

Sub-categories...hmm. Well, I suppose it would make your structure a bit easier, for example, if you had Washer Tournaments in different cities, for example? I can't think of a great example right now. (What is a washer tournament, anyway? Whirlpool vs. Maytag? :mrgreen: )

When you open an image from the organizer, you are working on your original, so it is important to save under another name right away. The only time you do not work on the original is if the image is on an external storage which is not available at the moment. Then it gives you a warning before opening.
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Thanks for your help, Reka. The example for a sub-category made me understand it a little better.

Italy - Wow!!

What is a washer tournament? Hmmmm It's played somewhat like horseshoes, but you throw round metal washers into a hole in the ground (about the size of a soup can).

Thanks again for your help!
Deb
5 posts Page 1 of 1