Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm back with another question... there is no "stroke" function under Effects>layer styles in PSE 3. If I would like to put an outline around my text title on a scrapbooking page, how could I do this with the program I have?
I no longer have PSE3 loaded on my machine, but I'm pretty sure this will work:
Stroke Text.jpg
Stroke Text.jpg (85.96 KiB) Viewed 1886 times

Type your text and get it sized and positioned where you want it. Then simplify that layer... (Layer > Simplify Layer)). Now Ctrl-Click the thumbnail of that simplified text layer. Only the text will be selected. Now, while that selection is active you can Edit > Stroke (Outline) Selection and apply the stroke you are after -- just make your foreground to be whatever color you want for your stroke.

I usually do those kind of strokes on a separate layer but you can do it right onto your simplified text layer if you want to.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I have PSE 5 so may be different but .. If you add any other 'layer style' or effect you can double click on the little sun icon on the layer in your layers palette and once opened you will have an option to add a stroke effect.
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Rusty, I went and tried the procedure you described and ...it worked beautifully! Thank you so much! The only difference is that the layer stays as the one layer, no indication of the layer being simplified or a stroke selection layer. But since it worked, that doesn't seem important.
Squirrelflight, I also attempted to find a "sun" to double click on but did not understand where to find that. The only thing I saw was a circle (half black, half blank) which was the adjustment layer, so I wasn't sure what to do after that. But thanks to both of you for responding.
Glad it worked OK, Justasiam
(Ha, I just figured out your screen name as I typed it) :D

What happens to those layers is not as obvious as my posted example led you to believe. I changed the names of those layers in my post to better explain what each layer was doing.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Good morning! I'm glad you found something that worked and I'll post this in case you or someone else wants it ..

To get a stroke in PSE You would select the layer you want it to apply to (text or otherwise). Add a 'drop shadow' photo effect. Hit ok. That will give you the little sun icon on your layer. Double click to open that. Uncheck 'drop shadow' and check 'stroke'. They hid the stroke feature well but this is how I get to it in elements anyway.. LOL

Attachments

Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Squirrelflight, I went to try it the way you are describing but now nothing in my PSE 3 wants to work...it appears to be "stuck" on the move tool. So I'll post a new thread asking how to fix that!
7 posts Page 1 of 1