Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello again, I'm hoping someone can help once more. I added some actions to my PSE program in the usual way (through C/Program Files/adobe/PSE 3/Previews/Effects. I deleted the cache>effects cache >files. However, some time later, when I restarted my elements program, the effects will not load and does not seem to recognize any of the actions (the effects cache file remains blank). I've obviously done something incorrectly, as the program worked before. Any suggestions?
Hello justasiam!
I have no longer PSE3 installed on my computer, but here are two resources:
http://www.hiddenelements.com/actions_whitepaper.html
http://www.hummiesworld.com/Course%202% ... ctions.pdf

Tell us if that helps...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
To install in Elements 2, 3, or 4
Click......... Start
" ......... My Computer
Double Click ...........Local Disk ( Usually C )
" ...........Program Files
" ...........Adobe
" ...........Photoshop Elements ( Your Version )
" ...........Previews
" ...........Effects

With the effects window open. Drag your Action Folder from the Desktop and into the Effects Folder.

NOTE.......... Do NOT place your action folder into one of the subfolders that you see. But just drop it into the white space between the subfolders.

Now we need to force Elements to recognise the new folder we have placed there.
Following the same path as before, locate and open the Cache folder. This will be in the Preview folder along with the Effects folder and Filters.
Open the Cache folder and delete the Effects Cache. Yes, delete the Effects Cache.
Don't worry, when you restart Elements it will find the Effects Cache missing and will rebuild the cache according to the files currently installed in the Effects folder, which now includes your new action.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
MichelB, thanks for your links and information. I removed all of my actions and reinstalled them one by one into my effects palette and that has been working well so far (but is taking a huge amount of time because I have to reopen my program each time!). Some of the actions show up but when I click on them the message says "could not complete your request because the file could not be found". What does this mean?
justasiam, Maybe this can help you.
http://www.texaschicksblogsandpics.com/ ... -elements/
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
Unfortunately, the Texas Chicks blog doesn't go back as far as PSE3.

There's also no need to open PSE each time you install an Action...... put them all in and then open PSE.

Gallery
Geoff, I believe I do need to add them one at a time...some of them are corrupt and are preventing anything else from loading properly and working. So I need to find the offending action(s) (please see my initial problem). The difficulty I'm having now though, is that several of the actions have loaded properly but when I click on them I get "could not complete your request because the file could not be found". The further issue I have with this is that some actions that previously worked when I loaded them in now don't and give me that same message. That means I have to not only make sure each action I load is working, but that all the other actions I previously installed also still work. EEEK
Er, yes, I see..... a bit complicated, then. In which case you're right, of course.... one at a time will show up any real problems. Those messages about Action files (the ATNs) not being found - I'd double/treble check that they have exactly the same names as their accompanying PSDs.

Gallery
Geoff, Michel...I think I may have discovered a solution to some of this. Using Richard Lynches Hidden Elements White Paper and doublechecking not the atn. but the .psd files I discovered: in several of these actions, the .psd file was sized correctly, but the image had not been flattened or the background layer double clicked on and retyped in the exact correct name of the action. All the ones I have "corrected" the preview for, worked correctly in the Effects palette, except one. I'm kind of excited...I think I may be inching away from complete newbie to somewhat congnizant of a few things in PSE! Thanks again!
9 posts Page 1 of 1