Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm having a lot of trouble with artifacts while doing this posted tut. "Angela's combined sketch tutorial"
by turtlespirit on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:42 am

I'm trying to do a toddler who happens to be a bit wet around the mouth and nose area. The tut works beautifully except for the nasty squares that show up in those wet areas and also the shiny part at the end of her nose. I tried to "heal" those out, but that ends with a worse result. Can anyone offer an idea? Thanks!
Hi click, could you post the image you are working on? It's just easier to give suggestions if we could see the image.
Thanks Smiles! Here is the photo I'm working with. On my working copy, I've extracted her out from the background and fixed the red eye. Then I just followed the tut directions.....

sg-for-web.jpg
sg-for-web.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
She is so precious!
It would helpful if you could also post the working image, or at least the part that is giving you a problem. It's difficult to make suggestions without seeing the problem, but I'll suggest using the clone tool with a soft, round airbrush, with a very low opacity & slowly fill in, sampling from better areas.
(It's better to clone on a duplicate layer or a transparent layer above the problem layer, making sure that the current & below option is visible in the tool options bar.) Sorry, if I'm being too basic. But, I'm not sure how much info is needed. (I prefer cloning on a transparent layer above the problem layer, because it is easy to erase what is not needed.)
I hope this helps.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Is it possible the squares are from the texture layer? I recently printed one of the original soccer sketches at a larger print size and saw squares show up, they do not show up on an 8x10 print size. If that is the case any similar texture would work well.

As far as the shiny nose.....what is happening with that? Is it during the processing to change it to a sketch? Can you lasso that area and adjust the light that way?

You extracted the subject and put her on what type of a background?
Can you post the work in progress?

BTW WELCOME to the forum :wave:
click wrote: I'm having a lot of trouble with artifacts while doing this posted tut. "Angela's combined sketch tutorial"
... I tried to "heal" those out, but that ends with a worse result. Can anyone offer an idea? Thanks!

Hi! Are you trying to fix the area before beginning the tut, or after the problem appears? I'd definitely try to do if before. Also, in some of these sketch type tuts it is often recommended you run a slight Gaussian blur on your subject first to smooth out all the little details you don't want to end up looking like noise in the finished image. I don't know if this one suggested that or not, but it might help.

Courtney
Thank you all for your suggestions. No info is too basic for me, BTW! I've only had the program about a month and before that only used very basic photo editing like picasa and MS Picture It. So this is all new territory for me. I'm loving it, but find there is SO much to learn! I will have to rework the sketch and show you what happens for me. After I got the problem the first time, I started over and used the heal tool to remove the wet areas before I followed the tut. I extracted her and and didn't have any other background.

I'll be back in a few with a reworked image and some more details and maybe we can go from there. Thanks again for helping!
Oh she's so precious! I can't wait to see your finished results!
well, after re-working pretty quickly. Here are the details....
I extracted her from the background, fixed the red eye and on the first photo, I used heal to take away wet areas. The 2nd example I only fixed the red eye. (and didn't extract due to time).

Following tut directions, Desaturate, Invert, Color Dodge Blend mode, Filter>other>minimum. Both images set at 14. The un-retouched wet areas is worse, but the squares are still there on the retouched one.

I cropped the 2nd one to show more detail. I want the finished image to be 8x10. I had to shrink to around 4x6 to get it posted on the web. The first one doesn't look as bad that small, but in a larger size the square are too obvious. Actually, zoomed in, evern her eyes have squares in them :crying: ....BTW, I did not use a texture on the image.

sg-part-way-thru-tut.jpg
sg-part-way-thru-tut.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 2041 times

no-retouch-face.jpg
no-retouch-face.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 2043 times

I appreciate and advice or comments you might have.
Forgot to say, this isn't the end of the process, but its where the trouble spots start to show up. Maybe I need a different blend mode? I haven't tried that...

I'm trying to get ready to go out of town, so I don't have the time to spend on this that I would like. I may not be back online for a few days, but please leave your suggestions and comments and I WILL follow up when I've got a chance to get back to the computer.

Thanks much everyone!
12 posts Page 1 of 2