Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
27 posts Page 2 of 3
first if you want them all the same size you need to resize..if not there are sveral ways of doing this. You can drag in onto your background layer or you can copy and paste into your background layer. Do you need more precise instructions on doing this??
ps..make sure is you are resizing that you are working on a copy of your orginal. that way you always have the orginal intact
suzib wrote: Do you need more precise instructions on doing this??

If you don't mind, that would be GREAT! In the meantime, I am going to review the Layering tutorial to (hopefully) eliminate a lot of these basic questions.
Ok, I am going to assume your pictures are the size you want...so have the first image in your image palette..in the layers palette is will show image and the word background.double cllick on that layer and a new box will come up saying something about changing name to layer o..click ok...now on the image itself the one in the layer palette not the one in the image palette..holding the ctrl key down click on that image. You should now see what we call marching ants. go to edit>copy...now bring up your background image..when that is in your image palette go edit>paste. then using your transform tool you can move it to wherever you want and resize it, if need be A little longwinded but hopefully helps
tlk, my use of the term "main layout" should have been more clear. What it is is the new document that will serve as the background for your poster. Then you copy each of your individual pictures you want on the poster and paste them on your background. They will each be a layer by them selves. suzib's directions are much better as far as details than mine. Hang in there, you'll get this. You are wise to review the layers tut. Layers are one of the absolute critical concepts to understand in PSE.
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
hukari wrote:
quillabee9 wrote:
Obviously this is a somewhat sanitized version of what really happened, and reflects a learning curve.

By this you mean...you left all the cursing out??!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As a minimum. There was some "blue air" in the computer room.

Yes Jane, I'll post a copy after I get the print back tomorrow (Thursday). It probably won't be as readable on here. Each individual pic is about 2x2 in full size.
GAIL
I am far from being an "expert" on posters, I have made a grand total of one! I had a lot of help and advice from Diana. Here's my finished product - the size is 2' x 3'

The file size is going to be absolutely HUGE. Plan ahead! I started with 4 files, each (about - see below) 12" x 18", forming the four quadrants of the finished product. Fill each one up with individual images but don't place images all the way to the two edges where that file will be joined by one of the other three files. After you put the 4 pieces together, then place images that overlap the edges where they join.

If you want the images to "blend" into each other, this is a very fast and easy way to do it...

Duplicate your background layer, insert a blank layer between the two layers. With that blank layer active, use the rectangular marquee tool to outline what part of that image you want on your poster. Fill that selection with black and then apply a gaussian blur. The strength of the blur will determine how much the edges fade; the example I posted is about "30". Now, put your cursor on the line between the top layer (image layer) and the blank layer with the black box and "Alt-click" -- that groups the layers and, Shazam, gives you the desired faded cut-out. With the eyeball only showing for those two layers, drag that file onto your poster file. Now, close that file without saving. On your "poster file" use the move tool to place (and resize) that image where you want it. I placed mine so that the blurred edges of each image overlapped the blurred edge of the adjacent image.

When you have filled up (except for the two edges) one of the quadrants, save the file as a PSD (you will have 20 or 30 layers in that file - one for each image) and then, flatten the file and save it again as a Jpeg. When the 4 quadrants are completed, make a new file sized for the finished product. Drag each of the 4 quadrants (the Jpegs) onto that file. Now, drag additional images onto that file to fill in the blank spots and give you a seamless transition between the pieces.

Plan Ahead - buy your frame before you start this. You are going to lose whatever space the frame takes up. Measure the frame and figure out how much space it covers. For example, if you want a 2" border on the sides and 2-1/2 inches on the top and bottom, and if the frame covers 1/2 inch, then you really need 2-1/2 inches on each side and 3 inches on each of the top and bottom. I didn't do this and ended up with crowded text. With this example, your image size becomes not 24 x 36 but 19 x 30 and the 4 "working files" are smaller than 12 x 18.

When all done, save your file. Once as a PSD and then again as a Jpeg. Medium quality is going to be just fine for the Jpeg you use to get this printed.

Ask Qs as you go along with this. Many people here will be happy to help.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
OK, I think I am on the right track. Reviewed the layering tut this am and had a chance to play a bit. I like the idea of working is 4 small sections so that is the approach I will take. I have 135 (out of well over 1500) pictures that I would like to use. Any recommendations on resizing them?

Thanks for all the help!
resizing depends on you..you can either resize using image>resize just make sure resample is unchecked..or you can use the transform tool once you get it onto your background
I knew Rusty would help.
Make sure you know which size you want each pic to be printed as. Go up to "View" look at "print size". Do this frequently. At first I didn't and found out later that I had to go back and resize and move some. Part of the learning curve. Be very patient with yourself. Save frequently. Enjoy.
GAIL
Oh I remember when you were making that Rusty - turned out very nice, and very nice tutorial too!
27 posts Page 2 of 3