Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
27 posts Page 3 of 3
just so I dont wast a ton of time reworking this, how does this look for a start. I like Rusty's idea of working in four areas so this will be the upperleft corner. The space at the top is where I will put the title (Summer Vacation 2007). Thi is supposed to be an 8x12 sheet but I couldn't upload the entire pictuce (the bottom portion is blank).

Am I on the right track???

Attachments

also, I am reducing the pics to 15% or original size because of how many I have. Will it look better simply lining them up edge to edge as I am doing in the above pic or would it look better if I cut out the main part of the picture and layed them over each other a little. My non-creative side is showing again :D
if your goal is something like Rusty's then I would say you are off to a good start.
Good start. Whether you place them edge-to-edge or blend the edges, I think you are on the right track using individual images of varied sizes. If you place them edge-to-edge, as you are doing, before you get too far along, you might want to experiment with putting a small stroke around each of the individual images. See how that looks.

Do not apply the stroke to the image. Put a blank layer above or below each image and apply the stroke to that layer. With your images edge-to-edge you will not have to stroke every single one, surrounded images will be bracketed by other images that are stroked. If you decide you don't like it, just delete those layers.

Go and look at the montage Kev posted today (Catnapping) to see what I'm talking about regarding the stroke.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I am about half way through this project when I realized I never thought to ask how much it would cost to print.....does $60.00 sound reasonable for a 2'x3' poster?
tlk,it depends on where you have it printed. I had a 20x24 printed last year by Adorama Pix for $6.95 and that was the sale price from I think $14.95 and I it is a beautiful qualtity print now frame and over my fireplace. I use a Pro Lab too and it doesn't cost that much to print a poster. Check around, I think Shutterfly is pretty inexpensive too.

I just checked http://www.adoramapix.com they are running the 16x20 on sale for $4.95 regular $9.95. It is there Kodak Professional Endura Supra Lustre print.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Don't remember exactly, my 24x36 was about $20 at Ritz (walk-in near my home) and I know for a fact it is less at Wal-Mart. Shop around before you spend the money. There is a lot to be said for instant gratification and, while you can probably find the lowest price on the internet, lots of local real stores get close to those prices.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
27 posts Page 3 of 3