Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
27 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi all, new to this forum and PE5. I want to make a poster with around 60-75 images on it but have absolutely no idea where to start. Does anyone have a step by step process they can share?
Hi tlk and welcome to the forum. What you want to do isn't as hard as you may think. There is a tut for this and I have a site bookmarked that has it somewhere in it and will post it for you as soon as I can find it.

Again, welcome. You find this a great site for help with Elements as well as the friendliest group of people you will find on the web.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
there is a link to one style of poster. I don't know exactly what you are looking to do. Just line all the pictures on a page or blend them. If you can be more exact as to what you want to do, I know someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.dailytuts.com/movieposter.html
I know that Rusty did one for his church and gave some sage advice. hopefully he'll respond.

I just finished one 24x36 inches, 300dpi with pics of Patti's face painting. We're going to Staples today to get it printed. My approach was:

Make a main layout of 24x36 with the background as I wanted it. Save itas psd.

Do the rest in sections ( quadrants, 1/6ths, etc.) as separate pics. That saved in processing (particularly saving) time. I saved each section as a psd with all pic's as individual layers and transparent background. Then I did shift-cntl-alt-E on the top and got a merged version as the top layer. I then did a copy-paste of that combined layer and pasted into the main layout.

Once I got them all on the main layout and saved as psd, each section on its own layer. I then had to do fine tuning. It involved having to go back and change some of the sections and re-pasting on the main layout. You'll know what you have to do pretty quickly.

Once I got them to my and (for sure) Patti's satisfaction, did the shift-cntl-alt-E and got a merged version on the top. I saved as psd. processing time took a while because of the size of the file.

I then copied the top layer (the merged one) and pasted it into a new document and saved that as a jpeg.

I copied onto a USB flash drive and am hoping for a successful printing. I'll let you know.

Obviously this is a somewhat sanitized version of what really happened, and reflects a learning curve.

Things to keep in mind:

Make sure you know just what size you need to be seen. If there is to be frame, take that into account in your layout. The actual visible area of the pic's on ours will be 22x34 because of the frame.

Make frequent checks of portions of the pic at actual size. I needed to do that to make sure all was consistent.
big smiley1.gif
big smiley1.gif (3.47 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
GOOD LUCK
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Gail - how about posting a smaller version of that poster here? I'd love to see it.

Kodak Gallery offers collages up to 100 photos - 20x30" is $30
quillabee9 wrote:
Obviously this is a somewhat sanitized version of what really happened, and reflects a learning curve.

By this you mean...you left all the cursing out??!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
AAARRGGG I can't find the tut. It must be one of the bookmarks I lost. Hopefully Rusty will find this and tell how he did his or point out a tut if he used one.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
quillabee9 wrote:
Make a main layout of 24x36 with the background as I wanted it. Save itas psd.

Do the rest in sections ( quadrants, 1/6ths, etc.) as separate pics. That saved in processing (particularly saving) time. I saved each section as a psd with all pic's as individual layers and transparent background. Then I did shift-cntl-alt-E on the top and got a merged version as the top layer. I then did a copy-paste of that combined layer and pasted into the main layout.

[/color][/size][/b]

I don't have a creative bone in my body.....so I am looking for real specific hand holding directions. I have the pictures that I want on the poster selected, but don't know where to go from there. What is a "Main Layout" and how do I change its size etc.

Thanks!
Let's see if this will help get you going..
file>new make a new document whatever size you want you poster to be
If you want to color it or you can add a backdrop from the the artwork palette..there are so many options
below is a sample of doing this ..is this what you are looking for..if so tell how you want it done and help will be along

poster.jpg
poster.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
looks like I will have to review the "Layering" tutorial again. I created a new file called "Poster" and made the dimension 24 x 36 inches. Now how do I get the images on the poster?
27 posts Page 1 of 3