Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm using PSE6. I hope you can give me some help with the attached collage I'm working on. The silhouette in the lower left corner is the tricky one. I'd like to extend the rope so it reaches the top of the image by adding a line that looks like the rope. Any ideas how to do it? In the other two photos I had enough of the rope in the original photo, but not the bottom one since I placed it so low.

Also, as you can see, the water spray is chopped off by the corner of the orginal photo. So now it looks odd in this collage. How would you continue it so it blends in better, maybe kind of peters out gradually? I think maybe I can copy and paste the spray I do have and extend it to the right a bit... I guess I need to play around with it.

And lastly, if you have any suggestions on how to spice the whole page up, edge treatments, framing, overlays, matting, anything that comes to mind, I'm all ears! It's a very creative bunch here and you think of things that never occur to me.

Thanks!

Courtney

Courtney, Your collage is nice. I really like it!
I tried the magic wand - contiguous, low tolerance to select the rope on the right -- duplicated it to the top layer. (erased the figure that was also selected/duplicated to get it out of the way) Moved the line/rope to the figure that needs it. Used the transform tool (distort) to slant the rope & stretch it up to the top. If it is still too thick, use eraser set to a real low opacity, or use the transform tool to squeeze.
Then I'd try using the clone stamp to extend the spray, adjust the opacity lower & lower to gradually reduce the visibility of the added spray.
I find it better add a transparent layer on top to do cloning -- setting the layer to "current & below". That way, opacity can be lowered & mistakes erased.
I hope I've explained this to be understandable. Sometimes, I can do things, but can't quite explain it clearly enough for others to understand.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
I'm not sure about the water spray bit, seems BJ has a handle on that though.

An easier way to draw the 'rope' is to take the pencil or brush tool, set the pixels to match the end, click on that part (and let go) & hold down the shift key. move the cursor to where you want the rope to end and click again. (At this point you can take your finger off the shift key.) You'll have a straight line.

BTW, this same idea can be used to erase in a straight line. I find it comes in very handy.
Tennie's idea is excellent for drawing a straight line. I use that method a lot. The reason I suggest the magic wand tool is to select any texture or variations in thickness that the rope might have. If you aren't concerned about texture or variations, the shift-click method is definitely the easiest. I would do that on a transparent layer above & not on the image layer - in case the line needs to be edited.
Good luck
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Thank you tennie and Betty! I will try tomorrow.

Courtney
:thanks:
I finally finished this collage. It is to be a gift to my 16 year old nephew, who is the one in the photos. Here's the finished image, fyi. I kept it simple. Thanks for the how-to help!

Courtney

Courtney, Beautiful job! Your nephew will love it.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Thank you, Joe!
:D
Love it, Courtney!
9 posts Page 1 of 1