Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
23 posts Page 2 of 3
Kimi,
I'm using PSE7 and haven't done anything with refine edges. Not really sure PSE7 has it.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
kimi_boo wrote: I looked at those Chas. (some help)

What the heck is refine edges in the top tool bar. The effects looks interesting but I can't get it to work on my images?

I'm fumbling with that also. Could get it to work when using Remask, but only if I did the mask on a layer. So it would seem that an object would have to be selected by itself in some way. I'll play a bit more and see what I come up with.

Went into PSE 7....refine edge works only if an area is selected using any of the selection tools or if it on a layer mask as indicated above.

Hope this helps.
I have PSE7 on my laptop, but sont have it out and running.

Are you talking about the Select, Refine Edge menu item?

If so, it only operates when a selection is made, then allows you to work the selected edge.
John
It is the "Smart Brush Tool".
Does vers 7 have this and do you have any tips?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Yes, 7 does have this. Went in and played a bit....never used it before, but sure looks like something I can have some fun with. So much I haven't explored.
Kimi,
The PSE7 help menu has a blurb about define edges. I tried using it but to no avail. Typical Adobe help-speak...
they give you just enough info to screw up your work of art.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
ok... so I figured out the Smart Brush Tool all on my own. No googling for the answer. :rotfl:
They are like mini actions. :chickendance:

Here is a picture of Grace that I am going to use in my class.
I used the brighten eyes selection. Once on the white area and then on the colored area.
I used the darken thumbnail selection on the background and duplicated it for a more dramatic effect.
I also used the software "auto color corrections". It made it a little to cool but I lowered the opacity.
I added a little blush to her cheeks and sharpened her eyes.

I really miss the ease of Elements and I have to say, I am happy to have vers 8!! :love:

oh, here is the picture.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I bought PSE8 on ebay to get the version with the Linda Sattgast scrapbooking dvd as it wasn't available in Australia. I got a great deal $US70 posted to Australia for a brand new sealed copy.

I've managed to install the new version and upgrade my organiser catalogue without too many hassles. All my images came across and they were all still tagged from the previous catalogue. I use the organiser extensively to sort everything by people, location, subjects and to sort my scrap book supplies so I was quite worried but everything converted without a problem. They recommend that you need to refresh every thumbnail to get the organiser to operate at optimum speed. As I couldn't do all the photos in one batch (it kept falling over) I'm working my way through the files but with 80,000 images it's taking a while!

I've been quite happy with PSE8 so far and it seems have a lot more features than PSE5 which I was using previously. I've also been working my way through the tutorials on the Linda Sattgast dvd and it is great - I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to learn how to use elements. It's also been worthwhile to pick up on the new features of PSE8 and a few that were there before that I didn't know about!

Overall I'm glad I took the plunge and upgraded.
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
kimi_boo wrote: ...What the heck is refine edges in the top tool bar. The effects looks interesting but I can't get it to work on my images?

I use refine edges in CS4 and I assume that it is similar in PSE8. After making a selection in the past, you could expand it, contact it or feather it, all in separate operations and all with the marching ants so you had no feed back on what it would look like until you finished and made a separate layer of the selected parts of the image. With refine edges, all of these functions plus a few others, are in one dialog box with a live preview. You can preview the effects by changing the selection from the marching ants to a red mask, a black mask or a white selection with a black mask. Very useful to me; I use it often on selections. There is a similar refine edges feature adjusting making masks.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
I have never even saw the smart brush tool before I read your post KImi, and I guess I jut over looked what was right in front of my face. I did click on the help menu at the top of the PSE 8 editor and found some helpful things there. I wish I could come and take your class. :puter:

Tina B
23 posts Page 2 of 3